Edges disappear beyond Clipping Plane

Creating a separate thread for this specific problem.
Any geometry beyond the Clipping Plane has not Edges. Here’s an example. Default Shaded display mode.

FYI - I do have Vray. My Renderer is set to Rhino. SysInfo below

Rhino 6 SR10 2018-11-7 (Rhino 6, 6.10.18311.20531, Git hash:master @ 0f9089a0035dcc6955732d57071445ecc29390f0)
Licence type: Commercial, build 2018-11-07
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Alan Farkas ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-NUQN85K

GeForce GTX 980 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.6.0 NVIDIA 391.35)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 3-23-2018
Driver Version: 23.21.13.9135
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.10.18311.20531
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.10.18311.20531
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\PanelingTools (6caed836-bc06-4ebc-b1fd-e10886a0dc94)\2018.3.1.650\PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.10.18311.20531
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.10.18311.20531
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros 6\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\BlockEdit.rhp “BlockEdit” 6.10.18311.20531
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Calc.rhp “Calc”
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\SectionTools (fbdb1d7f-8cfb-42c1-9858-87cb6315932c)\2018.9.26.937\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

Hi Alan - I do not see that here:

Is that what you’d expect to see?

-Pascal

Yep.

Hi Alan - does your display mode have any custom backface settings? What happens if you use a mode set to defaults?

-Pascal

That was the Default for Shaded.

But I just tried it with Pen, Technical, and some custom ones I had made from a while ago, and it looks ok. Weird, no?

Yes… does this happen with a new, very simple scene?

-Pascal

And on that note - Should I be able to use the Clipped Section line (where the clipping plane hits geometry) as a Dimension pick point? Because I can’t.

I’d like to (sometimes) use a saved Clipped view in my Layout page and dimension in Layout space. But if I can’t dimension to the Clipped plane, it makes it difficult.

But seems to work ok in FRONT view in Layout (ignore that the inner box seems lower in the “Front” view image. I moved it to see if it still worked even when partially inside another piece of geo)

yes, happens in this simple scene I made with the cube in a cube

Hi Alan - it seems to work in Front because the snaps are dropping back to the box corners - if the box were skewed, you’d see the problem. You can fake it:

• turn on History
  • Intersect the clipping plane and the objects
  • when you’re ready, set a CPlane to the clipping plane (CPlane > Object)
  • Dimension to the curves resulting from the intersection.

-Pascal

Missed this, thank you, I’ll try it.

Will this work in Layout dimensioning?

ALSO: What about the Edges disappearing beyond CP?

Hi Alan,

I’ve seen another report of this but cannot reproduce this on my systems.
You can override display mode settings in the Display panel without this changing the display mode - is it possible that something like that is going on?

Also, you mention that it works fine in other custom display modes? Are these all modified copies of a display mode that uses the Technical Display Pipeline?

I think I had missed that question, sorry. Yes, a simple box and it’s still a problem.

I’m going to try it on my laptop tmrw if I remember and see if it happens there. (I’ve been using my desktop)

UPDATE: Does not happen with my laptop. Maybe time to update my Desktop computer.

So, for whatever reason now, when I try to use SectionTools to “view section” in viewport, I’m not seeing the Crv that outlines the section.

Anyone? On a new show and really need to fix these oddities.

Thx!

Alan - is this somehow related to the previous problem? Does this one manifest itself on both the laptop and the desktop? Is this only with SectionTools now? It’s hard to tell what’s going on there…
@rajaa - any ideas?

Yeah, I kept it in this thread because I thought maybe it was related in some way.

@Alan_Farkas I see that in perspective the lines of the section are not continuous. We’ll have to check if we changed something with the clippingplane display that affected the quality of curves that happen to be located right on the CP.
Maybe @jeff has some thoughts? Looks like parallel viewing is fine, but looking at the curves from front and back both are affected in perspective per the image below. Note that I use VMWare.

1 Like

hi @rajaa,

Did your thought get “clipped” there? Your sentence ends in “when.”

FYI - I check my laptop, and it works fine, I can see the Arrows, and I can see the Crvs.

Also, I’ve updated my Nvidia Driver, and my SectionTools with the Dec 6th, 3018 version. No change.

EDIT: My Laptop version of SectionTools is seemingly Oct 2017 (My rhp and rui tools have that date in the “Date Modified” info in my file explorer - the “About SectionTools” dropdown within Rhino does exist in that iteration I guess, so I don’t know how to tell for sure. *Is there a way to download that Install File for my desktop system to test it out?
And without being a crazed person, I’d like to reiterate that I really do need to get this working. All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Alan,

I’m still not even sure what the problem being discussed is… I understand what’s being said…but posting pictures in this case doesn’t really do me any good, because A) I’m not familiar with the scene/model, and B) I have no idea what it’s supposed to look like and therefore I have no idea what’s really missing in the pictures… Sure, I could speculate and guess, but that never turns out well :slight_smile:

What I would like is a simple file that is saved so that when it is loaded, I immediately see the problem… and before sending that file, I suggest that you also close Rhino, restart Rhino, load the very same file you’re about to send, and confirm that you indeed see the problem immediately on load… There have been several occasions where users will just export what they think will show the problem, only to realize, after several iterations with a developer or tech-support, that the file they sent actually works on their system…

Also, I would like you to export the display mode that is active in the viewport that is showing the problem and include that .ini file along with the .3dm file. That way we’re working with exactly the same file and display mode settings.

If we still cannot see the problem here, then I’ll ask for screenshots of what you’re actually seeing, just to confirm that you’re seeing something different.

Note: I’ve reproduced what I think is being described…but so far things work as expected…

Something you might try just to be sure, is to reset your display mode(s) to its/their default settings…and see if maybe it was something different in your display mode.

Thanks,
-Jeff

@jeff I think the problem only appears when using SectionTools plugin. The image I produced with simple box and one section uses a simple section (run stCreate), then clip using stViewSections command (only Clip=Yes option). At some point when V6 was released, it used to work, but now it does not display properly.
Here is where you get the latest SectionTools plugin: https://www.rhino3d.com/download/sectiontools/1/wip

@rajaa But I can’t tell what I’m looking at in your image(s)… All I see are a bunch of lines, some dotted, and a box… I have no idea where your clipping plane is, or what things should actually look like… Until I can reproduce the “problem” here, I will not be able to suggest possible workarounds, much less fix it.

I will try reproducing it with SectionTools…

Thanks,
-Jeff