Dragging breaks history?

Are we looking at an improvement in RH-5/Bongo-2 over RH-4/Bongo-1 with dragging now breaking history on a history enabled object ?

I feel it is fairly logic that objects created by History cannot be dragged away from his original base elements. You must simply drag the base elements and the derived item will nicely move along.

A disadvantage with History recordings in Bongo though is that they don’t update in the viewportdisplays when you ‘Play’ the animation. Rest asure, it does when the animation is Rendered.
You should constantly press – not click - the next-frame-button on the timelineslider instead to get a preview.
I do hope something can be done about that in Bongo 3 – it certainly occurs on the wish list.

Luc

Luc, Luc, (Star Wars reference :wink: ! )

• Dragged original curve, daughter objects broke. Initial question stands.

Drew centerline curve. Made pipe. History good. Moved curve point, pipe centerline and O-D history modified correctly. Changed location ("move"d) of defining curve, BROKE HISTORY. No, I won’t send you a file. I’m figuring you’re already familiar with the behavior.

Tried alternate strategy.

Drew centerline curve. Added multiple circles of varying diameters along curve. Created pipe using sweep-1, and selecting the centerline curve, and then each cross-section curve in order, one end to the other. Adjusted curve points, , pipe lost history. Restored history, moved a cross-section circle, history updated. Moved centerline curve to new location. Broke History. Restored History, moved C-L curve +cross sections, maintained History. Manipulated mid-ways point on curve, history ignored, unlike previous strategy. Moved cross section circle, history updated.
So- to update YOU, we learn that history is only one layer deep. Important to know, since:

Need to manipulate pipe-shape by animating mid-ways point to a new position to change the shape of the pipe. [ ;=) ! ]
Strategy 1 above worked nicely, but could discover no way to animate the curve point.

Shifted back to strategy-2, , animated movement of a cross-section curve, animated history worked. Problem with where I have to locate the mid-curve circle, but can use, since could not make a way to manipulate the curve point.

BTW- fast enough computer (see another post I shared here on THAT topic) and scrub timeline - history updates for you to be able to follow along, you just have to give it time to update between key-frames.

So, discovered required workaround, lesson learned and shared. You’re welcome !

No, I’m not at all familiar with.
Moreover I hardly grasp what you are talking about. Try to use the correct (or at least comprehensible) terminology – eg what is a “centerline” curve?
So please do post a sample model.

Maybe you’ll find a solution in Shifting pipe 001.3dm (88.0 KB)
As I explained in How to animate a curve point the technique is called “Morphing”.

Luc

Ok, let’s try for some common ground here -
One of the Options to creating a circle in RHINO is along a curve. That the curve is positioned at the CENTER of the circle should offer a clue. If you’ve ever modeled in anything but RHINO, creating a PIPE uses similar logic. I’m not certain I could find anyone else who wouldn’t know what the centerline of a pipe is, so you really stumped me on that one.

However, You’d actually mentioned my mis-use of terminology, tho when I mentioned “make an object a child” in an animation context, when I guess I was REALLY trying to describe making an object a child, in the context of animating a child by moving its parent, but again, I’m not sure I’d be able to find someone else that wouldn’t have understood, so again I was stumped. Sorry !

Any thoughts on another post I put up about a variable that would set all accelerations to ZERO to facilitate accurate point-to-point motions in an animation ? Pre-set accelerations front-load movements to an unacceptable degree, compensating by moving just past the destination point, and then sliding back to the end-point to complete the motion, in a sort of “Hysteresis” kind of affect. This affects timings of associated separate components, such that they almost NEVER match. ZERO accelerations ALWAYS match, and those that need to can be curve-modified as necessary.

Walkers, walk-throughs, Sun animations and flybys all either have components all tied together or a minimum of individual working parts (a “sun” or a “camera”, etc.). When you have potentially DOZENS if not MORE that are NOT tied together as parent/child, but must be precisely timed to coincide at certain points, this becomes a real necessity !

Ok, I’ll check out the videos and get back to you.