Double faced surfaces/ single faced surface

Hello there,

I recently faced an issue regarding rhino surfaces.
I wanted to model in Rhino and import it in Lumion for rendering an animation.

After modeling the geometry in Rhino and doing the finishing touches in Lumion I experienced flickering in the movie… Got in touch with Lumion support (I’m using lumion 9) to fix the flickering issue now they are claiming that it’s due double sided texture for a surface that I have (using Lumion 3d grass for it) and since it’s a double sided material it’s causing the issue with flickering. They are suggesting using 3ds max or SketchUp as there are have an option to modify material for each side of the plane. I am hoping to find out a way how to do that in Rhino. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Select the object and in the object properties panel go to the thickness section and enable it. The slightest thickness will do, say 0.01 or 0.1

Ok. Thanks will give it a try.

Hi Jester,
Regarding to above issue I also have similar question to seek your further advice.
In Lumion render engine we usually apply the materials onto the solid object with face by face. So, if I have an object which need to apply multiple material or color, for example interior vs exterior wall paint in different color/finishing, how to solve this issue in rhino? i dont see above answer about the thickness section can split a single object face, so I wish to see your idea and advice please :slight_smile:
Thanks bro…

Hello - materials can be assigned per-face in a polysurface, if that is what you mean, but sub-object selecting one or more faces and assigning the material from Properties or from the material panel.

-Pascal

1 Like

Hi Pascal,
Thanks for your response… I’ve just tried your suggestion to assigned any material for different face in a single object (cube box), but i fail. I’m just a newbie for rhino :slight_smile: so, maybe I did something wrong step regarding to your above idea. Would you please show me a simple video or recommend any reference tutorial video about this issue?
Thanks a lot for your help

Hello - Assuming you have successfully assigned a material to the box to begin with - correct? if so, then Ctrl-Shift click on one or more faces of the box - do they light up as selected? If so, then in Properties > Material page, you can assign any material to the faces just like on a top level object.
Any luck? This is for Rhino materials, I have no idea how Lumion works…

-Pascal

1 Like

Thanks mate…
I’ll try your instruction later and get back to you if it is work or fail.
Lumion material only can apply to a 3d object face by face, if a box/block only has one material/color for all faces then lumion will only allow for one material too, can not be multiple material/color if the source faces from rhino only assigned single material.

Hi Pascal…
I have tried your suggestion and it works well, I already can select and assign different material in different faces of a block or 3d object.
But, anyway there are two problem still need your advice here
attachment video --> (click here please).
1st case :
I created few materials in different faces there, when I tried to render it in rhino there is one side was assigned in a red color face, but im not sure why in render it didnt come out with red color as assigned? please correct me if im wrong in which step
2nd case :
I also tried to save it in dae format in order to comply with Lumion. When I import this file into lumion then this block came out with only one material without split into different face material as assigned previously in rhino. Usually lumion only can assign it own material into different faces depended on each face material from its origin source like skp, rvt, etc

Would you please explain further again, thanks a lot …

• Young

Hi Young -
As for your 1st case - I’m not able to reproduce that behavior here. Could you run the Rhino SystemInfo command and copy-paste the result here?

As for the 2nd case - I don’t know which file formats other than 3dm will carry this information. I’ll ask…
-wim

1 Like

Hi Young - I’ve filed a request to export per-face materials to the DAE file format: RH-59308.
-wim

1 Like

Hi Wim,

1st case :
this is the command info here :slight_smile:
(i also enclosed the video to show my process : click here

Command: _Box
First corner of base ( Diagonal 3Point Vertical Center )
Other corner of base or length ( 3Point )
Height. Press Enter to use width
Creating meshes… Press Esc to cancel
1 extrusion added to selection.
1 surface added to selection.
Creating meshes… Press Esc to cancel
Command: _RenderPreview
Command: _RenderPreview

as you can see in my video, my rendered result was not showing each material properly as same as my assigned materials face per face. Only can appeared 1 face with refers assigned material and the rest faces failed as exprected. Please advice me what wrong with my step above.

2nd case :
I was using collada (dae) format to export to lumion.
unfortunately 3dm format in rhino does not support to lumion directly, so it has to save in other format.
file format support to oprn in lumion as followed :

• 3D formats:
    Autodesk Real DWG: *. dxf.
    Autodesk Real DWG: *. dwg.
    COLLADA file: *. dae.
    FBX file: *. fbx.
    Max file: *. max.
    3ds file: *. 3ds.
    Obj file: *. obj.
    SketchUp file: *. skp.

• 2D formats:
    Windows Bitmap: *. bmp.
    Joint Photographic Experts Group: *. jpg. Truevision …

-Young

Hi Young -

I was asking for the SystemInfo data, not the command info.

It doesn’t look like Rhino is saving per-face materials in any other file formats than 3dm at this point.
-wim

1 Like

Hi Wim,

is this what you mean by system info in my rhino :slight_smile:

Rhino 6 SR25 2020-4-23 (Rhino 6, 6.25.20114.05271, Git hash:master @ f1GV9Jm2u7rmsCe65wKzPTw5jtS38n2tVEGi038d)
License type: Commercial-, build 2020-04-23
License details: Stand-Alone

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 64Gb)
Machine name: YOUNG-DESKTOP

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti (NVidia)
Memory: 8GB,
Driver date: 7-24-2019 (M-D-Y).
OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 432.00

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 7-24-2019
Driver Version: 26.21.14.3200
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins
D:\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.25.20114.5271
D:\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
D:\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”
D:\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.25.20114.5271
D:\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
D:\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
D:\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.25.20114.5271
D:\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 6.25.20114.5271
D:\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.25.20114.5271
D:\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V6\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”
D:\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
D:\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Calc.rhp “Calc”

Previously I was saving it in collada (dae) format and import in lumion. I exploded my box object to become face by face separately so I can assign each material in every faces one by one, this method was working in lumion and I can apply lumion material to replace rhino material face by face.

-Young

Hello - is this comment in the context of Vray as the renderer or Rhino’s own renderer?

-Pascal

Hello Pascal,

in my case i was accidentally using vray renderer in rhino.

-Young

Hi - I guess I’m getting utterly confused now…

OK - I now see that you posted a completely different thing in that second video…

In the first video you posted, you show that you are using the regular Rendered display mode. Using that display mode and the process that you outlined, I was unable to reproduce the issue here.
As a start, you are running Rhino 6.25. Could you please update to the current 6.27 or 6.28 release candidate and check if you can still reproduce that. If you can, please disable V-Ray and see if that changes things.

As for that second video and V-Ray not behaving, please contact Chaos Group.
-wim

1 Like

Hi Wim…

actually all above videos were still the same which used Vray Renderer for Rhino. Everything still same example created a block just for test to assign material on each face.
Just now I see the result within these two different renderer, my mistake in above video is that I didnt aware I was assigning material procedure improperly, firstly I assign those materials in rhino default method while still using vray renderer, thats why when I put different material on each face but only appeared in one color/material in rendering, i think probably vray only recognize one whole block not by face per face.
after your above reply remind me about rhino default renderer, I try it again… and bingo ! each color/material face per face has finally shown up in rhino default renderer which is different result compare to vray renderer only one single material.

→ above is using vray renderer & vray material (single color/material for each block)

→ above is using rhino renderer & rhino material (color/material assign face by face)

-Young

1 Like