How to split solid object faces for Lumion

Hi Senior,
I have a question here and need your further advice.
In Lumion render engine we usually apply the materials onto the solid object with face by face. So, if I have an object which need to apply multiple material or color, for example interior vs exterior wall paint in different color/finishing, how to solve this issue in rhino? any idea and advice please :slight_smile:
Thanks…

Hello - Assuming you have successfully assigned a material to the box to begin with - correct? if so, then Ctrl-Shift click on one or more faces of the box - do they light up as selected? If so, then in Properties > Material page, you can assign any material to the faces just like on a top level object.
Any luck? This is for Rhino materials, I have no idea how Lumion works…

-Pascal

1 Like

1- You can offset your solid using "offset surface "command.
2- Then explode the entire geometry.
3- Then you have interior faces separate from the exterior faces.
4- if you opt to have two materials on the same face, you can split your surface using " split " command.

1 Like

Hi Mate… thanks for your response too.
If it is only this way to split each faces it seem very inefficient, troubled, taking longer time and complicated to finish one complete building compare to skp. I wish there is any other efficient and faster trick to solve or split multiple faces

If Lumion takes meshes as input, Sketchup is more adaptable since Rhino uses NURBS surfaces in general. It’s the same with 3ds max. Nevertheless, you can sort your faces based on material in Rhino and export them in Lumion like any other CGI Artists.

1 Like

Hi Mahan…
I have tried your above suggestion and it works well. If my purpose is to assign different material in few different faces then I think explode an object will be enough and it also can acceptable to use in applying Lumion material face by face. after explode it maybe I have to combine them altogether again by using group command, right? bcoz if using join command will ruin all face material return back to previous condition again. the bad thing is if using explode then it will break everything and can not be edited for that object unless join them back again.
I dont really understand the point why we need to use offset surface regarding to above issue if we already use explode? does it mean to keep the original remain as a source object only or what?

I did mention the offset surface just because you can have one face for exterior and one face for interior. So you can assign different material to interior face. But normally if your project is architecture you should not use the same model for interior rendering and exterior rendering.
Regarding the joining and grouping:
Joining is the reverse of exploding. So if you join back the faces, You can not assign different materials to them. But if you group faces after assigning materials to them, it won’t unify the faces and each can have different material.

1 Like