.DocumentRevisions-V100 (Disk full)

Hi, I ran out of harddrive space. Checking on storage I noticed “Other” was taking up about 80% of the harddisk. I couldn’t find where this was, when listing all files the numbers weren’t adding up also with hidden files enabled.

With OmniDiskSweeper (run from terminal) I eventually found a folder in root called DocumentRevisions-V100. In finder it’s showing that it uses zero bytes but in fact contains 150 GB. Luckily I found it and saved myself the trouble of a clean install. These temporary files don’t get cleaned automaticly.

It would be nice if you or Apple fixes this problem, there is a thread about this issue dating back to 2015. It’s a pretty serious problem since I was getting corrupt files when trying to safe because of the 100% discspace used.

Just to inform you, I deteled the files in DocumentRevisions-V100 and did a restart. When I opened a 3dm rhino file, made some adjustsments and wanted to save it, I got an error “this is not a Rhino file” and everything it the file vanished. I ended up with a blank file with the the same name. Strangely enough the file size is 2.7 MB, so somethng must be there.

Anyway strongly recommend backing up.

Also maybe related, I noticed the undo command, Cmd-Z has been running slow since a few months.

I’m sorry to hear you lost your Rhino file. Did you have a backup?

Perhaps you already found this, but just in case: https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/mac/autosaving

-Dan

Hi
I fought for a long time with this problem ago and I was able to figure out what it is and how to solve. The item “Other” is occupied mainly by automatic file saving. To retrieve the lost memory is how I proceed (on average 1 once a month for the 500gb ssd as I use to boot). Download free software OnyX (make sure that the Mac OS is used for).
I am Italian, Please note that some words of the menu may be different
Once downloaded and installed OnyX

1. to make a safety backup and then close all programs
  2. start Onyx
  3. Enter your user name and password
  1. Press “continue”. (It will be done to verify the Startup Disk
  2. After the truth of the disc, press “delete” (the broom icon)
  3. Select the “Miscellaneous” and put the check in the “Versions of the automatically saved documents”
  4. Click on “Run” (if it appears the application forced closure alert press “continue”
  5. At the end appears “After cleaning”
  6. Restart your Mac
  7. After restarting your Mac, select the Apple> About This Mac information> archive and see if the memory has been freed.

Simon

Thanks Zsimon and Dan for your advice