Document User Text Panel Not Persisting Entries

I have found that entering Document User Text keys via the Document User Text Panel at the right will not persist. It will allow me to enter a new key, even give it a value. Then if I go to connect that Document User Text key I made it is not in the list. If look back at the Document User Text Panel it is indeed gone.

I can repeat this over and over again as I have found that I can even watch the key I just made in the Document User Text Panel and as soon as I click the the function icon in the Properties Panel for the text object I want to connect to the key the Text Field window opens and the key I created disappears from the Document User Text Panel right before my eyes. Needless to say I don’t think it should work that way. I think that should be able to enter keys and values in that panel just like I can in Document User Text accessed from Edit→Settings. Another observation is editing the key of a previously entered key that was entered via the Document User Text from Edit→ Settings the edits do not persist either, they will revert back to what it had been prior to the edit, at least the key doesn’t entirely disappear in this case.

Regarding the same Document User Text Panel - it is kind of annoying that if you click the + to enter an item, then click the + again to enter another item you overwrite the item you just made so you must click some place else to finalize the entry then click the plus again to add another key. I think clicking the plus should finalize the last entry and start a new one, not overwrite the last one. Would have saved me dozens of clicks (and dozens more as kept trying to do it thinking I was screwing up something up somewhere) today as I unknowingly added items just to have all of them disappear as soon as I went to attach one of them to a text object.

Hello - I cannot, so far, repeat this one in V6 or V7/WIP.

This neither but I may not be doing it right… can you give me a blow by blow?

-Pascal

Hello Pascal,

The version I am using is Version 6 (6.19.19298.01152, 2019-10-25)

I can recreate it multiple ways. I will give a different couple blow-by-blows.
I have simple document, only curves and text objects. It is going to be a block definition for a title block, fairly standard architectural vertical along the right side of the drawing style. In the right panel area I have Panels: Document User Text open as well as “show property panels” enable (among other panels).

1. method with lots of weirdness
    a. With nothing in the drawing selected, I highlight the key of one of the entries and rename it, in this case it is “ChkDat1” and I am changing it to “RevDat1”
    b. after I rename it I click out of the field to finalize the edit.
    c. I select a text object (previously created with the “Text” command from the Drafting palette.)
    d. I select the full text in the properties panel and click the “Fx” icon.
    e. The Text Field window opens and I select “Document User Text”
    f. The key with its unedited name is in the list, “ChkDat1” and not “RevDat1”.
    g. For the heck of it I select “ChkDat1” and click apply.
    h. The edited “RevDat1” entry now disappears from the Document User Text panel at the right. Text Properties show %<DocumentText(“ChkDat1”)>%
    i. I click anywhere on the document to unselect that Text object and now text object disappears too. (mask was set to none). Selecting the entering area where the text object had been can’t find the text object.

a. With nothing in the drawing selected, I highlight the key of one of the entries and rename it, in this case it is “ChkDat1” and I am changing it to “RevDat1”
b. after I rename it I click out of the field to finalize the edit.
c. I select a text object (not the one actually want to edit)
d. I say “opps” and select the text wanted to change.
e. The edited key disappears from the list, more accurately it reverts back the name prior to the edit.

a. I have something selected in the drawing, in this case a text object I don’t want to edit (but it can be a curve even)
b. I highlight the key of one of the entries and rename it, in this case it is “ChkDat1” and I am changing it to “RevDat1”
c. after I rename it I click out of the field to finalize the edit.
c. I select the text object I want to change
d. The edited key disappears from the list, more accurately it reverts back the name prior to the edit.

Hello Pascal,

Re. the second issue blow-by-blow

A. second issue only
a. I click the “+” at the bottom of Panels: Document User Text in the right sidebar panel area.
b. A blank text entry field appears.
c. I type in a new key into the field, “TestKey1”
d. I click “+” again
e. A blank text entry field appears and “TestKey1” does not get added to the list.

B. second and first issue combined
a. I click the “+” at the bottom of Panels: Document User Text in the right sidebar panel area.
b. A blank text entry field appears.
c. I type in a new key into the field, “TestKey1”
d. I click somewhere outside of the text entry box, like on one of the keys above it.
e. My new Key is added to the list.
f. I repeat a though e five times incrementing the key’s numerical suffix
g. I select a text object in the document.
h. I select a different text object in the document.
i. As soon as the second selection is made all the new keys vanish.

Thanks for the details, that is helpful - for some reason 6.19 refuses to open correctly at the moment, but in 6.21 I cannot get that (Above) to happen - I see the expected renamed keys. Can you post or PM me with an example file?

-Pascal