Display Color Custom Sidebar - no Colors pnl popup Build 516

In previous builds, I think (or have I been dreaming?), after choosing Display Color Custom in the sidebar, the Colors panel would pop up automatically, if closed, as in the image below. (I generally keep it closed) In 516 it does not pop up when closed. Choose “Custom” and nothing happens. Such renders the sidebar useless for this operation. Personally, frequently I assign a custom colors or two to objects on specific layers to make them either stand out or fade contrasted with the primary layer color. That said, an even slicker method to quickly assign custom colors to objects on a layer would be welcome assuming there is a method available.

The work around is to use the Object Properties panel and click the color “rectangle” which does pop up the Colors panel.

Single Window Modeling

Try this: 1) select the object you want to change color. 2) select the entry material. 3) make sure it is selected in the “Object”. 4) Click the Color icon and you will open the window color.

Alternatively. 1) Select the object you want to change color. . 2) make the active layer with the selected object. (Edit> levels> set current level to object) 3) Now you can click on the color of the layer and open the window colors.

I’m confused. When selecting an object, I"m only getting Object and Detail, not Object and Detail, Material Toucan as in your sidebar. What an I doing wrong?

Same situation when the selected object is on the active layer.

Software information

Software versions
    Rhinoceros version:  5.0 Wenatchee 2014-06-23 (516)
    OS X version:  Version 10.8.5 (Build 12F45)

Plug-ins
    None

Hardware information

Computer hardware
    Hardware model:  iMac12,2
    Processor:  Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Memory:  8 GB
    Architecture:  Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
    Graphics:  AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB
    Memory:  1024 MB
    Screen size:  2560 x 1440
    Displays:  iMac

Third party kernel extensions
    com.sophos.nke.swi (9.0.3)
    org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv (4.3.12)
    org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB (4.3.12)
    org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt (4.3.12)
    org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp (4.3.12)
    com.sophos.kext.sav (9.0.11)

USB devices
    Apple Computer, Inc.: IR Receiver
    Apple: Internal Memory Card Reader
    Apple Inc.: Apple Keyboard
    Microsoft: Basic Optical Mouse
    Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
    Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)

Bluetooth devices
    None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
    OpenGL version:  2.1 ATI-1.8.19
    Render version:  2.1
    Shading language:  1.20
    Maximum texture size:  16384 x 16384
    Z-buffer depth:  24 bits
    Maximum viewport size:  16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
    Use texture compression:  No

Appearance settings
    Antialiasing:  None
    Mip map filtering:  None
    Anisotropic filtering:  None

(Marlin Prowell) #4

No, the Color panel has never opened automatically by selecting a popup menu option.

(Marlin Prowell) #5

Zsimon is describing how to set a material color, which is not what you are trying to do. You are trying to set a display color. The Material tab only appears for selected objects that can be assigned a material. You have a curve selected, and those cannot have a material assigned.

Oh boy…now I"m starting to worry…about myself that is. I have an older version on another Mac. I’ll go back to it later to determine if I’m loosing it or just did not explain myself right. Thanks!

(Marlin Prowell) #7

The color “rectangle” is a color well, and it is present in the Object Properties side bar. However you are running 10.7.5 and you cannot see it. Please re-read Bug: Select Display Color

err…maybe not. ( and yes, bad wording by me re “automatic”) That was user vitopepito with 10.7.5. I’ve got 10.8.5 with 516 it is broken for me but discovered it seems to be existing models (I tried two). If I create a new model in 516 the color well shows.

Just checked the other Mac. It has 10.9.3 and 515, and the color well in the sidebar shows and pops up the color panel when clicked with the same old model, though a different revision.

Unfortunately, I do not have time to mess with this any more this week. Perhaps it is just me? Hope this helps. Thank you however.

(Marlin Prowell) #9

Yes, I see that this is also a problem in 10.8.5. I’ve changed the panel behavior so that in 10.8 and below the layer names are truncated and the Object Properties panel is always narrow. With this, the Display Color color well will be visible.

The real fix for this is to upgrade to OS X Mavericks. Then the panel width will adjust to the width of the side bar and layer names won’t be unnecessarily truncated.

Whew…not a complete dummy after all! Was starting to worry that perhaps my head had in fact turned to wood…:slight_smile:

Well, most of mine are. However, I do need to keep some older OSs around for various purposes, as do you guys, and that 10.8.5 was the first to get 516.

In academia there can be several past major releases floating around, labs locked down for a year, etc. Just saw a 10.6.8 box get replaced. I’ll try 516 on 10.9.3 when I get brave enough. To date 10.9.3/515 had been smooth other than snap label funkiness that I assume was fixed in 516. I’ll confirm soon.

Forgive my mistake. I misunderstood the problem. You can assign a color to the object (in this case a line) by clicking on the color box.

No worries Zsimon! We all make mistakes. I thank you for the effort. We got to the bottom of it.