Discourse requests

Hi Brian,
Could we please get an option to automatically track Favorites? I mean, if they are favorites it seems logical to track them IMO. How about something like this:

thx, Tobias

I think this is a request for the Discourse team, not me! @sam, ideas?

I like the idea of automatically tracking favorites, though I wonder … what should happen if you unfavorite something, do we need to track the reason you started tracking the topic and revert?

I definitely think that “by default” all favorite topics should be tracked. cc @discourse

I did notice some inconsistency in the behavior in mcneel cause its using a “bitnami” install that exposes some bugs I need to clean up.

For the best Discourse Experience :tm: we recommend a web server called “Thin”, this allows us to use long polling. On sites installed not on using Thin like mcneel, there is up to a 30 second delay getting notified on some stuff.

I need to rework some designs to keep a “fake” state around that eventually updates when the bus tells it what is really going on. Its tricky but workable.

We also really want to move mcneel over to a Thin based setup and are working with @brian on this.

Yep. I believe @supermathie has the keys to the new EC2 instance and is working to get it set up to your specs. We’re happy to switch as soon as it is ready.

Yep, I should be able to finish a test migration tomorrow night or Wed morning.

I don’t have a preference here, but I will note that at Stack Exchange where we also have favorites, we saw two distinct audiences, each with about 50% representation:

1. Those that want favorites to act like bookmarks and do nothing else, and they get angry when it doesn’t.

2. Those that want favorites to start tracking questions and answers (as if they owned the question), and they get angry when it doesn’t.

That is definitely a recipe for a user preference, I don’t believe either one is “correct” as a default.

Yes…

When looking at the Forum’s main page how can I tell if I am watching or following or . . a given topic ?

Is it possible at all to set a topic to watching from the main page, where all the posts ara available at a glance ?

I tend to follow all posts, but would like to streamline the setting of Watching: how can I automatically set all new posts to Watching withouht opening each new post (or even visiting the forum). I did not recognize such a setting option in my profile page, or elsewhere.

Thank you :slight_smile:

When you are watching or tracking a topic and new posts are added, you will see a blue number bubble tothe right of the subject line. Lack of bubbles indicates you either have read everything or are not tracking or watching the topic. By default you need to spend 4 minutes in a thread for tracking to start.

When i click on an image in a post to maximize it in the browser, i get the image and overlay shown as it should. If i then click on the browsers back button, the page behind the overlay is loaded properly but the overlay is still shown in front. Shouldn`t it go away ?

thanks,
c.

Or reply to a topic, which is the more common way by far. Replying to a topic sets it to tracking. You can change the defaults for tracking on your user preferences page.

Oh, don’t do that – the image is just a dialog, not a new page in the browser. Just click the image with your mouse, tap it with your finger (tablet), or press esc on your keyboard to dismiss the image.

thanks Jeff for your reply,

from the users point of view, the image overlay does hardly appear as a dialog, it appears as a newly loaded page depending on the image size. Usually i click on downsized images to see eg. a screenshot in 100% resolution. Since the browser seldomly runs in larger resolutions and is mostly not running in fullscreen mode, the image overlay spans the whole page body and it`s transparent border is invisible. So the page behind the overlay is not visible to me.

thanks,
c.

1 Like

We will look at making the back button work here, but in the meantime, just click or tap.

Thanks for considering it. Apart from this tiny problem, the avatar picture thingy is probably more important. :blush:

c.