Dirt Mounds Maze

Hi everyone!
I have the following maze:

Which is projected onto a complex surface:

The idea is for the “walls” of the maze to be dirt mounds, with this section:

But I really don’t know where to start… I can hack the simple shapes to work as Sweep2, but I have no idea how to do the rest… any pointers?

Thanks a lot!
maze.3dm (1.6 MB)

Hello - depending on what the goal is, it may be fine to just use displacement mapping with a blurred image-

-Pascal

Good idea. That had not occurred to me.

Invert the image (black <-> white) and you’ll probably get what the user is after.

Right, sorry… haste making waste…

-Pascal

Great idea Pascal! is that just a render effect or is there a way to displace the geometry using an image?

Hello- kind of both - the render mesh is displaced - but you can have that mesh via ExtractRenderMesh.

-Pascal

These are 3 different methods to create displacement with Grasshopper.
I think a method like in Remesh by color component will be better also in Rhino to subdivide only the needed area.

displacemnt mesh.gh (1.9 MB)

1 Like

Hi Seghier, thank you! If I wanted more resolution on the final surface, would having a higher resolution image be the solution? maybe a 32bit image to get more information in the blurred part?

thanks a lot!

More simply
ZSURF4- QUADREMESH

srf.rar (2.4 MB)

Hey Antonio, could I ask you to save it as a rhino 6 file? still haven’t made the jump. Sorry and thank you!

Eccolo
srf-A-M.rar (2.9 MB)

Thank you! the problem is that that method works for a planar surface, but I have to make it follow the complex topology I shared earlier… maybe I could try and do a flow along surface?

Load the surface on which you project.

You can use after the Flow along surface or Splop command

You can control resolution from mesh like in Rhino

Yes. Zsurf4 is the only free software that creates from images bitmap surfaces jgs

I didn’t know about Splop! I’ve been using Rhino since 1999 and I still learn about new commands :stuck_out_tongue:
Thank you!