How to use displacement in rhino 5

I cant applydisplacement on this surface ?
how to use rhino displacement.3dm (1016.8 KB)

with this texture

become like this becomes.3dm (1.0 MB)

thanks

is there needed certainly texture format? like make black and white ? ( what should i use to make black and white ) ?
thanks

Hi Cliffonde,

I’d suggest to watch this video.
Conclusion: Displacemnet is based on black/white values of an image.
So the image needs to represent the heights in black white values. Most of the time an regular picture will noit get the result you want.

-Willem

3 Likes

hmmm… how to set regular picture’s black/white image ? hehee, :stuck_out_tongue:
Thank You so MUCH hehe :slight_smile:

hmm btw, why I ever set with z buffer, my pic going white all, ?
thanks

Displacement in Rhino 5 tutorial: https://vimeo.com/66155012

2 Likes

or

like this image for example, how to change the height black or white value with photoshop or any software ?

thanks,

I have seen this tutorial https://vimeo.com/66155012

but for my surface I try, its failed :frowning: like as 3dm file i shared

Hi Cliffonde- the way to do this is to make the 3d object - one repeat of the tile in the top image for example, and then get the ZBuffer image from that. In other words the image cannot depend upon lighting, only Z depth.

-Pascal

1 Like

yeah , seem to be like that to be done :frowning: if I use first pic I share among 3 all

I have been a while trying to make my surface with the effect below, with the image

can it be done? , or may be my surface is so small ?

hmmmm why my displacement is not close to its curve ? on the surface ?try.3dm (1.3 MB)

is it because I dont join the base surface of the texture to close with other polygonsurf ?

after making texture with displacement, I join the surface, then, it has been joined, but the texture disappear, why ?
thx

In your original post here the surface’s control point structure is what the image is mapped to whether in terms of displacement or a rendering material.

If you run ShrinkTrimmedSrf on this trimmed surface you will start to see a more logical/intuitive result.

After that, it’s a matter of blurring the source texture by way of a resample texture in Rhino (or externally) and changing a few settings given the detail of the source texture.

The render mesh is new after the Join and is not the previous one that you had applied displacement to. The mapping may also have changed for the object which is a key part of how the displacement image is applied. You’ll have to redo the displacement and any texture mapping for the polysrf.

Displacement effects the render mesh of the surface or polysurface. Only absolute black values (0) in the image will keep polygons in relatively the same position as the original render mesh.

2 Likes

T.T Thank you so much Mr. BrianJ …

so of course the displacement is a mesh can be drag right on the surface position we need too ?
or just for render view only ? can not be used join as solid to our polysurfaces model ?

The black values in the displacement image texture will by the default value of 0 be in the same location as the surface. However the render mesh is what get’s displaced not the actual NURBS surface so this is mainly a feature used for rendering purposes. With that said, you can use ExtractRenderMesh to extract the displaced render mesh for other uses such as 3D printing. You will not be able to join the extracted render mesh to other open surface edges. If you need the model to be one continuous mesh, you would need to displace the entire joined model in unison to preserve a single render mesh.

I filed this request (https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-27703) a while back for sub-object displacement to help with displacing areas of a polysrf. If this can be done, it will make the workflow much easier and allow you to displace only a small area of a polysrf without needing to separate the surfaces/render mesh.

1 Like