(Desperately Need Advice) NVIDIA Graphic Card M500M compatibility & performance for Rhino and V-ray for Rhino

Hi,

I am highly interested in Lenovo ThinkPad P50s, but I am not sure if it is powerful enough to run with Rhino and V-Ray, and other 3D modelling apps.

Here are the relevant specs:
Processor : Intel Core i7-6600U Processor (4MB Cache, up to 3.40GHz)
Operating System Language : Windows 10 Home 64 English
Memory : 16GB PC3-12800 DDR3L 1600MHz SODIMM
Graphics : NVIDIA Quadro M500M 2GB
Hard Drive : 256 GB Solid State Drive PCIe-NVMe OPAL2.0 - Capable

I am mainly concern with the graphics as the NVIDIA Quadro M500M is less popular and powerful as compared to M1000M or M2000M. Will M500M cause any performance issue with rhino and v-ray rendering?

Please give me your advice thank you so so much

Erica

I recently got a ThinkPad P40. It has the same video card and processor. Rhino 5 works ok for most modeling tasks, but large scenes or dense meshes are slow to pan/tilt/zoom.

I don’t have Vray so I can’t comment on that specifically, but the i7-6600U processor is 2 core so I doubt any CPU rendering will be fast.

I’ve also tried Modo and it runs ok as well. I haven’t tried large scenes though. Preview was usable. Advanced viewport seems slow to initialize.

Hope that helps.

Never it can’t be enough power for rendering. :wink:

An other option could be to buy an additional PC as render slave and use it per LAN network. At this machine you could add a fast CPU. Also for the future it’s cheaper to update a PC than a notebook.
Also the next Vray 3 will be much faster since the software is optimized and a special denoiser help you render faster than at v2. But I’m not sure how many slave licenses will be for free for v3 anymore.

I would like to bump this forum up! I am similarly interested in the Nvidia Quadro M500M, but:

1. Given that it only has 2GB worth of RAM in the graphics I am not sure if it is sufficient for work in Rhino and rendering with Vray;

2. Will the 2GB graphics’ RAM limit a 16GB RAM?

Likewise would appreciate help on this!

Thanks alot!
Bernard