Desperate plea yet again for selected object sees its layer highlighted

I completely agree. @DigiFabLab I think those are all good practical suggestions. [quote=“DigiFabLab, post:21, topic:8249”]
Sure, meticulous organization is a great goal.
[/quote]
I like to think I am meticulously organized and I find Rhino unnecessarily laborious in this regard. A little caveat here, I’ve only been using Rhino since the new year. When one transitions to new software, one should attempt to learn the new software’s native workflow. I’m doing my best and I have some way to go. Thankfully we have these forums and Google to help us.

Nevertheless for me, the key feature Rhino has yet to implement is a unified interface to select and organize objects by name from a text list. I’ve seen a other posts about it. Depending upon the profession/ segment and the way one uses Rhino, this may or may not be an issue for individual users. But for me it is. The method for picking objects in Rhino can be slow. I’m not quite at BrianM’s number of layers and objects but my current project is at about 250 layers and 1200 objects. I’ve looked around in the forums and I have not found a way to speed up my workflow better than selecting objects from list. As an analogy, using just layers without being able to see and select the names of the objects within the layer is bit like using Windows Explorer but only having the navigation pain without being able to see the files in the folder.

Having an Object Lister (Alias)/ Outliner (Maya)/ Explorer (XSI)/ Scene Explorer type of functionality would be a huge time saver for the work I’m doing. I’m hijacking the thread a bit here, but perhaps the addition of even a basic Outliner type of functionality would make some of the other issues in the thread moot and provide benefit for many users.
-=André

PS, Just to keep you from having to pop up a new window (from the linked post above):