Simple Physics Simulation

I would like to build some basic models balancing materials of different densities. Is this possible in Rhino? Is Grasshopper / Kangaroo the way to go here? Any good beginner tutorials out there?

FWIW here is an example of what I would like to simulate. This is a partially hollowed out board that is ‘unnaturally’ cantilevered out over a plexiglass cube due to its uneven weight distribution.

(Pascal Golay) #2

Hello - I think GH/Kangaroo is the way to go, yes.

-Pascal

(qythium) #3

However Kangaroo can potentially lead to lots of time wasted on trial-and-error simulations, and in your case it sounds like a simple analytic solution would suffice:
find_center_of_mass.gh (15.5 KB)

whoa, cool! I think this is actually what I was looking for… Would I be able to do this whilst accounting for the thickness of the material? I.e. could I build a more elaborate model in Rhino that represented the actual construction of the object, then run this kind (or similar) analysis in grasshopper, assigning densities to the various materials therein?

(qythium) #5

Yup, that’s the idea - As long as you have closed Breps (called polysurfaces in Rhino) or closed meshes, the Volume component should work as demonstrated above, the rest is just high-school physics :slight_smile: