Deleting unwrap output?

I have tried UV unwrapping a surface and now I see the result using UV editor. I don’t want it, I actually want to get rid of all wrapping/mesh info, but I can’t I get the following message when I select those meshes and delete them:

Any ideas?

Hi Gustavo - the unwrapper opens control in the side panels, which has a Apply/Cancel buttons -if that thing is still open, you can sort of get at the mesh as if it is an object but it’s not really there- escape by cancelling in the dialog. (I do this all the time as well…)

-Pascal

…also run in to two more problems:

1. once I run the command UVeditor once, I cannot run it again in the same part, it’s not available to select again. I want to run it again to make a larger scale UV editor rectangle that matches the Unroll version of the same surface. Is this a bug?

2. If I delete the surface I still have left behind this ghost mesh versions of it that I cannot delete (get message shown above in first post)

Are these bugs?

G

Hi Pascal! …oooh that window/panel was open, I see why I could not do anything. That’s sneaky, kind of uncool, isn’t? it?

playing more now see what happens…

G

Yeah, I agree it is a little sneaky- once you know, it is OK, sort of, but I still miss it myself pretty often. It’s a tricky one UI-wise I guess, because you need to be able to fiddle with the unwrap mesh using Rhino tools (move, drag, scale Gumball etc) so it cannot be a modal dialog, but at the same time it does need to be more obvious that it is holding things up until you apply or cancel.
@johnc, do you have a brainstorm?

-Pascal

once you get this uv unwrapping figured out, can you put together another wonderful tutorial for us please? thanks

I just spent an hour with one of my guys on this and we had to do a much of extra workarounds to get something to sort of work the way we wanted. Mostly we had to…

1. Duplicate the surface we where going to unwrap
  2. Change its degree in the one less important direction to deg1, so it can be developable
  3. Unroll that duplicated curve
  4. Create a rectanble bounding such unwrapped result
  5. Unwrap original surface
  6. run UVeditor on that unwrapped surface, and snap to that rectangle.
  7. orientation of unroll and unwrap results are not the same, so while unwrap dialogue panel was still active we torated/scaled the unwrap mesh item to created a better guess rectangle
  8. cancel the UVeditor command
  9. Making a UVmaterial using a UV-checker image (he didn’t have one, so I had to email it to him) and assign it to the original surface
  10. Run UVeditor again, snapping to new rectangle.
    11.Create a picture frame with same UN-checker since the one in UV space dissapears once you click OK in UV editor. And you want to see the correlation of both UV space and 3D space.

even with all this, I still have no way to see my same wireframes of my 3D surface in UV space, So it’s really hard to locate the texture details I want to add in the correct placement.

This is a ton of work that this poor guy was trying to keep up with with notebook on hand, but it should be really a one command deal if scale/orientation can be matched to the UnrollSrf command’s result, and it can guess the closest unroll result without having me to change manually surface degrees, etc. when something is not developeable.

Pascal, I can send you a file showing all this stuff and also we, @BrianJ or whoever is interested can review this if you have more question or want a live demo. I think you guys have all the pieces there, but they are kind of all over the place and it’s just not very user accessible right now.

…That being said, the quality of the unwrap engine is actually very delicious so hats off to whoever coded that. Brilliant work! It would be a shame it’s so dam hard to use accurately.

G

Hi Gustavo - I am not sure I follow the whole scenario there - can you tell me what the mapping’s end result is meant to be like on the original surface? It sounds like maybe a planar mapping on the unrolled surface is mapped back up to the 3d surface, so to speak…? Anyway, send me some stuff, I’ll see if I can make sense of it…

-Pascal

Hi Pacal,

The goal is to have graphic details that are as dimensionally accurate as possible following a 3D surface. Projection will it work, we want for example: circles of 1mm diameter on surface. Not ovals (distorted by planar projection) or unknown dimensions (unwrap is being dimensionally agnostic) circles places on some random place of the surface.

So we need unwrapping, make the unwrap as close to 1:1 of the 3D surface as possible and have a 2D underlay template that shows us where the 2D artwork will show up in 3D space.

I’ll send you a file after dinner.

G

1 Like

Yeah… It should be possible - it is possible to combine UnrollSrf , CreateUVCrv and ApplyCrv to make accurate-as-possible curves on a surface, so it should be possible to do the same with textures - a sort of ApplyMapping command, but I don’t think we have a tool for this. Thinking…

-Pascal

1 Like