Decals not showing in cycles (Raytraced) - Help

Hello all,

Decals so far works in rendered mode, but when switch to Raytraced the decal completely disappears. I hope there is a solution, I appreciate your time and efforts!!

Rhino 6 SR13 2019-2-27 (Rhino 6, 6.13.19058.371, Git hash:master @ 17cd8b51accbe17dd04b48028f49d5e77a67f17b)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-02-27
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Stylianos Tsatsaronis ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-LUDUE5T

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 3-1-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 419.35

Secondary graphics devices.
NVIDIA Quadro M4000 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 3-1-2019 (M-D-Y).

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 3-1-2019
Driver Version: 25.21.14.1935
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Thank you

Stylianos

please attach a file that shows the problem. Preferably a model with just a box and one material.

Hi Nathan, thank you for your quick reply. I have attached a simple file which demonstrates the issue.Decal test - Cycles.3dm (272.9 KB)

Works just fine here.

Just to make sure that everything is in order on your side please make sure that you don’t have custom changes in your Raytraced settings: Tools > Options > Views > Raytraced > Restore Defaults

The issue was the backface settings, i had “single color for all backfaces” selected. Once I selected as you advised to restore to defaults, it worked. Thank you Nathan, I appreciate your help.

I hade the same kind of problem. But when i closed and started rhino again it the picture started to show in the raytraced image. Cycles seems a little bit buggy to me…

1 Like

Hi Kennet, I agree, as all programs have there bugs, they will be resolved eventually . All around Cycles is awesome!!

If i assign several materials to an object, cycles renders the decales and the materials incorrectly. Everything is correct in the Render Viewport, as in the render mode. Assigning multiple mapping channels also confuses cycle. vray renders correctly via both CPU and GPU. is there a solution. thank you

There are the Pictures
This is in V6 and also in WIP
The first is Cycle (RaytracedViewport, the second RenderViewport

There’s some decal work for Cycles going on as https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-45742 but what you show may be due to some other things I’ve filed regarding sub-object texture mapping. Please send me the file with the textures if you can and I’ll add it to the open bug I think this is about. You can email tech@mcneel.com to my attention or private message here on the forum. Thanks.

This looks like a decal on an object that has multiple materials applied. The texture baker currently in use fails in this case. As @BrianJ mentions I am working on native decal support. In a couple of weeks it should all be much better and faster.

thanks for the fast respond.

Hi Nathan,
how is the decals coming along?

I added a bump to the material and a decal to the object, but nothing is showing in raytraced:

I also get some wonkyness in the bump at the top as you can slightly see in the render. Do you know what’s causing that?

1 Like

By the way, adding the image to the PBR material worked:

I also added it as a specular map so the dark parts isn’t shiny.

Texturing via material is IMO preferable due to better control like this. Posirioning may be harder though.

Anyway, decals are a bit on hold. I have a couple of items for cleanup left before I ger back to them.

RH-45742 is fixed in the latest Rhino 7 Service Release Candidate

1 Like

Hi, I still have this problem randomly… when I switch materials under the decals they sometimes disappear in cycles and rendered and I don’t get them back. It really drives me nuts. I don’t think ditching the decal function for a material is a good solution. I mean you built this feature for a purpose, right?
What else can I do?

It’s a physical mat with a png decal with alpha activated. If that helps.
The SR didn’t help.

Thanks

A file and steps to reproduce would help.

While using Raytraced changing the material is known to “lose” the decals. At that point you have to toggle away to say Wireframe, then back to Raytraced. But the decals should still be on the object.

Ok, thanks. I’ll try that and report. Cheers

FWIW I already have a bug report for this on my list:

RH-63193 Material updates on objects with decal in Raytraced fails

I tried switching back to wireframe but it didn’t work. Changing the underlying mat to PBR seems to work for now. But that also makes it impossible to use custom mats (not PBRs) as background.

Would be happy to have this fixed soon!