Decal vanishes v5

Hi … I placed a planar decal on a box yesterday and it worked fine. I could view it in render mode and when rendered. Today it has disappeared from the render mode but can still be viewed when rendered. When I try to place a new decal on the box it is visible in render mode until I hit enter and then disappears. What am I missing?

…Just restarted Rhino and now the decals are showing in render mode. Still non the wiser as to why now and not before.

Sounds like a display driver issue.
Please take a screenshot of the setting on Options > View > OpenGL so we can see how you’re configured.

Hi John … Here is the screenshot. It may be that I am simply running out of memory … my computer too:)

Try reducing or disabling your antialiasing.

Also, what is the pixel size of the images?
You’re right, those unrecommended Intel chips don’t have squat for VRAM

Hi John … I reduced the antialiasing to 4x and cleared some of the memory on my computer and it seems OK now. I appreciate your prompt help.

Hi John … The problem is back again. Just for your info. I opened the program this morning and no sign of the decals on render mode but they do render OK. I have plenty of memory, there are 5 decals now ranging from 50kb to under 1mb each and I have tried every antialias setting. They all showed up fine yesterday on every setting. None of my other settings have been changed. It is not a big problem, just a little annoying that it comes and goes, but I thought you should know.

You may have plenty of RAM. but the images in the PictureFrame surfaces use VRAM.

I asked this before and you did not say: What is the pixel size and resolution of the images you used for the PictureFrames?

I strongly suspect this is because you are using the Intel graphics chips with very little resource for this sort of use.

Images are 300ppi, so if I reduce to 72ppi you think that might solve it. I just wonder why it comes and goes. I thought giving you the image kb sizes was enough info, sorry!

It’s not so much the DPI of the images but the number of pixels in the X and Y directions.
If the images are more than about 200x200 (assuming they aren’t filling most of the screen), then they are using a boatload of VRAM you don’t have.
You want the images that are as low-resolution as you can that still look clean.

Ok John … That’s clear, my images tend to be large 1000+. I will fix it tomorrow. Thanks again!