Debug DisplayPipeline (NullReferenceError)

Hey people…

I get a NullReferenceError in the DisplayPipeline of a custom component.
Normaly not a big deal, yay, but I can not find it…
The try to debug, with some breakpoint in there, kicks Rhino into nothingness… Rhino chrases hard…

Is there a setting in Grasshopper or VisualStudio I can change to step into the Display-Pipeline…
I guess the preview runs on an other thread? an other than the solution?

Greets
Mark

Is there anything you can share that would allow me to reproduce?
To step into code you either need that source or the pdb files. I’m not exactly an expert on this, as the only code I typically debug is code I have source for.

@will do you know if we make pdb files for specific versions of RhinoCommon or Grasshopper available to plugin developers?

@DavidRutten I don’t think we do, but I’m not an expert either! I think the way to handle this would be to get hold of the plug-in.

Hey,
thanks for ur answers…

Unfortunately I can not share the source of the plugin…
I will find a way to get rid of the error. Not sure how, but ya, it has to be done :wink:

Maybe there is something strange happening within the Taskscheduler…
My calculation is running on a separated Thread, so the ui is not locked… When a cycle is done (new geometry is ready) I expire the preview. Maybe there the timing is f***ing all up… I will set some locks… lets see…

Anyway…
Thanks…

Greets
mark

@mark_ortler We don’t need the source, just a compiled copy of your plug-in (shared privately) and the steps to reproduce the crash. Alternatively, if you can submit a detailed crash report next time it happens then we could use that to dig into the issue. I had a quick search but couldn’t find anything already in the system that matched your description.

Hey Will…
Ok, this could be an option… I have to check this with my boss first…

There is no crash-report at all… Or lets say, Rhino is not crashing… It just tells me, in the command-line, that there was a NullReferenceException in the DisplayPipeline. With a time-stamp and nothing more…
I guess u know this feedback-line?

can u drop a contact where I could send the dll’s & gha’s?

[Edit]
Oh… I forgot about the debug-scenario where Rhino chrases hard… I will submit a log on the next test…

Greets
Mark