Cycles Options and denoising

is there any source where I could get an explanation regarding the cycles render options?

RhinoCycles_SetRenderOptions

show_max_passes=HideMaxPasses
max_bounces=32
tile_x=512
tile_y=512
no_caustics=Caustics
max_diffuse_bounce=2
max_glossy_bounce=32
max_transmission_bounce=32
max_volume_bounce=32
transparent_max_bounce=128
aa_samples=8
diffuse_samples=128
glossy_samples=128
sensor_width=32
sensor_height=18
seed=128
filter_glossy=0.5
sample_clamp_direct=0
sample_clamp_indirect=0
light_sampling_threshold=0.05
sample_all_lights=yes
sample_all_lights_indirect=yes

I can’t find the denoise option, I thought cycles has this option since some time now?
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/render/cycles/settings/scene/render_layers/denoising.html

The option names all correspond to the names in Blender as well. Some options currently don’t have effect, aa samples, diffuse samples, glossy samples, simply because we don’t expose branched path tracing.

Cycles supports denoising yes, but we don’t have a good interface for that, nor would it work in our current viewport integration. Denoising is on the roadmap, not sure when it will happen.

thanks,
looking forward.

all these options, wouldn’t it make sense that the presets from the dropdown in the rendering panel control some of these values?
I mean the quality dropdown (low, draft, good, final).
does it have any effect at all at the moment? has it influence on raytraced as well as CfR? wouldn’t it make sense, that raytraced should be faster so raytraced and CfR quality should have separate quality controls?

Long ago during the first stages of the integration development the quality drop down affected these settings, but that brought its own problems with it: the settings were found to be too arbitrary with too little room for user input.

I think that the drop down as such will see the end of its life in v7, probably to be replaced with presets that can be extended.

1 Like

+1
good decision to replace the dropdown

Wouldn’t a checkbox be enough?

Could it work with _ViewCaptureTo…?

I meant programmatic interface, as in it isn’t wrapped yet. Besides some extra UI elements are needed for full control.

It could, but then it could be clearly different from the viewport.