Curvature Analysis

I stumbled upon the curvature analysis tool in rhino accidentally, which is something that I want to add to my presentation and I was wondering if there is a way to actually export the result (the colors)? or is it just a visual thing?

if its just the visual outcome you can use ViewCaptureToFile, set the background to transparent and export as png, then you have a single layer of color already nicely cut out.

Hi @skat ,
You can _ExtractAnalysisMesh then you get a mesh with the analysis colors on vertices. You’ll have to switch to Rendered to see the colors.

2 Likes

and how do you get the texture or the vertex colors out of rhino? i did not manage (at least in rhino5)

Export to .ply supports vertex colors for example.
Also I think there are scripts to bake the vertex colors to textures…

1 Like

ok that works, unfortunately opening this in a different app is a bit of a challenge, i managed with meshlab but exporting this to get it working in a different app is again some major crack down.

interesting would be if the Curvature Analysis could be visible as a colored mesh instead of vertices.
what is ExtractAnalysisMesh usually used for?

To generate a permanent mesh with false color info from Curvature Analysis and Draft Angle Analysis. It can also be used to check the analysis mesh. Note: The Analysis Meshes are different from Render Meshes.

P.S. I think Rhino’s .ply implementation is pretty good. If other apps having difficulties with vertex colors then it is probably not Rhino’s fault.

Agree, PLY or even VRML/WRL is pretty neat usually in Rhino.

Would you recommend tools/strategy from Turn 3D scan texture to 2D pattern for printing sticker or on vinyl wrap for the baking of vertx colours to textures?

Sorry, I don’t know these tools. Someone else may tell…
I made something with vbScript decades ago… but that’s outdated

To be fair, I guess Blender will do a job here.