Curtain Wall won't accept Doors or openings unless they start at or above the base line

I think they should. Storefront glazing often sits on a curb some distance above the flooor.

Hi David,

You should be able to place doors below the base of a wall. For example if you create the wall with the door both at elevation 0, then change the elevation of the wall to 300 the door should remain in a lower position.

Perhaps the above would occur to many users, but it didn’t occur to me.

I suggest that it should also work to create the door at the elevation of the wall and lower the door either by dragging or by entering a different z coordinate.

Please consider the process. Walls go in first. Doors may get added, moved or altered much later. Having to change the wall position in order to add the door is an ungainly requirement.

Hi David,

You should be able to drag the door or set the Z coordinate you want. Is this not working in your case?

My case is a curtain wall. I’m trying to put a VaDoorOpening in it, or an opening, and it isn’t working as per this post’s title.

Hi David,

In the case of a curtain wall it is the same.

In case this doesn’t work for you, please share a gif.

You can try also changing first the Vertical Alignment of the door to Top. That way if you move the wall the door will follow it.

Kind regards

IN the case of the curtain wall sitting on a curb (a curb made from a wall, which I split so as to put the door opening in the curtain wall) in my most currently uploaded project, I do not have that success.

Hi,

Could you share again the model? For me it’s better if you send it to visualarq@asuni.com.
If it’s too big use WeTransfer, or export just the affected wall and door to a new file.

Thank you

Thanks Ramon. I will send the link to that email address. It will be the whole file, but I’ll draw attention to the circumstance in question. I have seldom found that sending a portion of a file duplicates an error.

Look for this door opening in the curtain wall. It’s easy to find. There’s only one of them. As the gif shows, once I have moved the opening below the curtain wall, it won’t any longer cut through the entire curtain wall. I expect it’s experiencing interference locking its width to small adjacent base walls behind those in the foreground, but I think that’s a bug as the intention seems clear from the overwhelming majority of its position being on its original host object, the curtain wall.

Hi David,

I have checked your model and the problem is that you have an overlapping wall on the layer MVaWallsDeleted. This layer is off but VisualARQ objects interact with each other even if they are on a layer that is off.

If you delete that wall then you will be able to place the door correctly. Make a copy of the door before deleting the wall because if you delete the wall the door will disappear too.
Then when you finally place the door in the curtain wall, since you want it below the base of the curtain wall, make sure to choose Vertical Alignment: Top from the properties panel, so it detects the thickness of the host wall from the top of the door.

I have noticed that there are more VisualARQ objects on top of each other in this model, like the walls on layer MVaCurtainWallMasterGrey. So if you find more issues first delete all the duplicated objects.

Kind regards

Thanks Ramon

I suppose this is so that walls can be on hidden layers while the objects they host remain in proper place on layers still showing. This limits the ability of a project to have multiple optional configurations on different layers, but unless there’s a way to link specific objects to specific hosts there isn’t a way around that. I guess having sublayers for the object a specific wall hosts would be the way to manage that.