Creating the mesh for a shaded viewport takes longer in V6

I’ve been getting some complaints that it takes much longer on large files than it used to. I have a 700Mb file that takes 9 minutes to created the meshes for shading in V5, but takes 17 minutes in V6.

The positive side of this is that it pans, rotates and zooms effortlessly in V6 once it’s shaded, whereas in V5 it’s not smooth at all.

Has anyone else noticed V6 taking longer? I can’t share this file publicly, but if anyone from McNeel wants to take a look, let me know.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan - doe sit look like the meshes are created for all objects in V6 and only visible ones in V5, possibly? I’ll have to test here -but, just wondering if v5 waits for the objects to be in a shaded view before making the initial mesh and 6 maybe not…

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

No, I don’t believe that’s happening. If I hide all but one piece, it shades in a minute or so. With all displayed it’s closer to 17 minutes.

I had another complaint today about the length of time it takes to shade in V6. This user opened his file in V5, shaded it quickly, saved it, then went back to V6. I think that’s becoming a trend on larger files.

Of course, once that large shaded file is open in V6 it rotates and zooms much better than in V5.

Should mention, they are still on 6.3.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan - thanks for the bump, I’ll check this now and see if I can see the same thing.

Hm - here, opening the same fairly complicated V5 model in all wireframe and running SetDisplayMode Shaded rings up at 15 seconds in both V5 and V6. I’m guessing not, but just in case, are the models using any fancy mesh modifiers like edge softening or displacement?

Another example here: S-L-O-W Meshing
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-45753

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

No, nothing fancy. I’ll send you a file to test in the morning where you will be able to repeat this.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan - thanks, got it, it sure is slow.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-45753

-Pascal

Thanks.