Create solid using topographic mesh

Hi there,
I am trying to create a solid from a mesh of a topographic map that I imported. I am not sure it is possible or what would be the best way to do it. The mesh is very complex.

Hi
The process is called Reverse Engineering.
It would be very tedious and difficult to make a NURBS surface model that accurately followed a complex, detailed, topographic map.

Why do you think you have to make a NURBS version of it?
Why won’t the mesh you have work?

Hi John! I am sure that I will end up sounding like the total newbie that I am, but in short I am interested in making jewelry from topographic maps. I found some topgraphic maps and then translated them to a mesh file and then am trying to make a solid out of the mesh, and I just don’t know how to do that. I tried create solid in the solid tools, and created five planar surfaces that touch the rectangular mesh on each side, but I could not choose the mesh as one of the parts to create the solid. Am I going about this in the wrong way?
Courtney

Use the OffsetMesh command with the Solid option enabled in the command line. If the mesh is closed you can 3D print it and depending on the material use a lost wax process for casting.

You don’t seem to have a grasp of the enormity of the task of Reverse Engineering.
Here’s a link to a document that shows the process of first cleaning up a mesh so it can be STL printed, then goes on to show the reverse engineering process.
It assumes you are pretty competent with Rhino modeling already so just skim through it. The purpose is so you understand how difficult and complicated this is.
http://www.rhino3d.com/download/rhino/4.0/scancleanupremodel

That said, the details in a topographic map, when built on something as small as a piece of jewelry, can not be very detailed. It’s just too small.

1 Like

Thank you BrianJ and John Brock-
BrianJ I tried the OffsetMesh command and that worked- is there a way to then trim this solid to have a flat bottom?
John_Brock- I see what you are saying, the reverse engineering process would take for ever for something as complex as the topography.

You could make a mesh box and use MeshBooleanDifference or sub-object select (ctrl+shift while clicking or dragging a fence selection) the polygons on the bottom and then use SetPt to make them coplanar in the Z axis. These are guesses without seeing the model of course, but it should be possible.