Making object solid

Hi im new to rhino, I have been using the point and box tools to make rectangular prisms but cannot figure out how to make the object have a solid surface. Can anyone guide me through?

Please post the model you have so far.
What surface creation commands have you tried?

I assigned your message to the Rhino for Windows category.

@jennto A “solid” in Rhino is simply a volume completely enclosed by surfaces joined together with no naked (unjoined) edges and no non-manifold edges (three or more edges joined together). Have you previously used other 3D CAD/modeling software which may be different?

This is my current model

Hello - the image suggests you are using MeshBox and not just ‘Box’. Not sure why… Just judging from the image, you might try Box, and when these are all in place, BooleanUnion but I’m just guessing.

Please see
https://www.rhino3d.com/tutorials

-Pascal

just tried using box and booleaunion and still did not work

I suspect that you might be trying to Boolean a mesh with NURBs, with isn’t going to work.

[ NURBs are a method of mathematically representing objects, like the Bézier curves you find in Inkscape or Illustrator, but are 3D curves, surfaces and closed primitives. From these mathematical objects meshes can be made or replaced, made finer or coarser, at will. Nurbs are more of a drafting thing, like when you want to make a mould or technical things like machining.

A polygon mesh is made from triangle and quad faces, with no other math behind them. And once you make a mesh, it can’t be made finer–(except through subdivision or Sub-D.) Meshes are more for characters and terrain, cloth like things and natural things.]

At this point, after you have made a good save, and then save it under a newer name just to keep the original safe before proceeding…

I would select what you have, and group it together, and then trace over what you have, which may be a mix of meshes and boxes. The “Vertex” snap at the bottom of the screen should make this go easier.

Then you can select the old mesh/NURBs combination group, and either copy it to another layer, and hide that layer–OR just hide it temporarily.

Then, I should think that, as long as your boxes are either coplanar or interfering, then they should Boolean.

Usually, if you do have problems with Booleans, then it might be something that just barely touches it, or doesn’t fully go into it.

I hope that helps.

Just right-click in your viewport and select say Shaded as your display mode. You’re clearly in Wireframe here. The latter one shows only the wires of your model, even if it has surfaces filling them.

Booleaning the shapes you show in the screenshot won’t work, since they don’t intersect.