Create a Rope & Modify the list

I am trying to create a rope in Grasshopper and I hope it could be fractal, which means each strand can be subdivided into smaller strands if needed.

Now my script can only turn one single curve into the form I want. When applied to multiple curves, the “shift list” component will flatten part of the tree structure and that makes the “interpolate” component connect all the curves. I am also not sure about the “flip matrix” component because it seems that it only works on trees with two levels.

Anemone part is a mess I guess. I think the radius should decrease and subdivision of the curve will increase each iteration. That’s why the code looks like this. But it didn’t work. I think it’s because that the list structure is messed up when the loop starts to run.

Thank you for your help! I appreciated it a lot!

GH file:
Sup-Spring.gh (12.5 KB)

Ref Image:

Image:

Failure Image:

I didn’t have any of your plug-ins, couldn’t work on your file.

rope.gh (23.2 KB)

This is a draft/sketch … done without any plug-ins (as i always prefer), still rough.

… usually in rendering its common to use displacement/bump maps to lighten the work of the … designer.
May I ask you why you want to 3D-draw a rope?

10 Likes

Hi Riccardo. Thank you so much! That’s neat! I was still chewing your definition.

I want a 3d rope because the goal is to create a surface/facade that looks like it’s weaved/knitted. I will 3d-print it and the weaving motif will make the solid material look ethereal…similar as intricate carving in classical Islamic architecture.

I thought the direct knitting pattern might be too difficult for me so I decided to make a rope first! As you said, to get the weaving pattern might not require us to model it. Any better solutions? Thank you!

By the way, do you know how your definition can work when you input multiple curves? (the “flip matrix” component will fail) Thank you!

Sweet Definition Riccardo Majewski!

Yqsghxs This is generating multiple curves and essentially flipping the matrix.

2 Likes

Maybe… 3d-scan?
If the pattern won’t be much large sized it is not required much definition. And the randomness of the shape could be a plus.
Otherwise you have to draw it in 3d… but i would suggest to avoid doing that completely in grasshopper… use rhino also.

1 Like

Thank you!

Thank you for your suggestion. I will keep digging that. In the end, I will just need the relief.

How about bump maps?
It’s pretty light on resources (compared to modelling individual strands of fabric)

If you wanted to 3D print it you would need to convert it into a mesh somehow. I haven’t done it myself, but it’s doable, I would think.

1 Like

@maje90 this is wild! I’ve been trying to make this in maya for years…