Creamy and Crunchy SubDs

In the October 8, 2019 Rhino WIP there are 3 new commands for setting SubD appearance.

The goal of this work is to make it easy for you to see what you need to so you can do what you want to.

Please let us know what works and what doesn’t.

• Creamy - Set the appearance of every SubD to be “Creamy” (smooth surface is displayed).
  • Crunchy - Set the appearance of every SubD to be “Crunchy” (SubD control polygon is displayed).
  • CreamyCrunchySwap - Swaps the Creamy/Crunchy appearance of every SubD.
  • Using Creamy and Crunchy to change SubD appearance does not change the SubD objects. Creamy and Crunchy are simply two different ways to visualize the same SubD object.
  • You can use the Gumball and PointsOn commands with any SubD using any appearance.
  • You can change the SubD appearance while running a command by typing Creamy, Crunchy, or CreamyCrunchySwap on the command line.
  • When a model is opened, every SubD is creamy. We did this so that when models are shared, a user not familiar with SubDs or Creamy and Crunchy, will always see the SubD surface geometry.

If we learn that the Creamy / Crunchy approach is generally useful, then we will add additional user interface that reports the current setting and lets you change it. If we learn that it doesn’t work, we’ll remove it and try something else.

17 Likes

Can’t wait to test it out. I love the nomenclature though! :laughing:

I’d go for Smooth and Edgy. Something more intuitive so that new users would intuitively find the terms they’re looking for.

I mean, wouldn’t most people look for “smooth…” when they want something to be, well, smooth?

Odd terms are useful only when you already know the odd terms.

// Rolf

4 Likes

Sounds like your getting peanut butter choices. I like smooth mode and box mode. —-Mark

2 Likes

Woohoo - another tick on the wish list - thanks guys.

I’ve had a quick play with it - seems to be working how I’d expect. I’ve setup my HOME hot key to the swap function. If you could build it in as a TAB hot key I’d be even happier.

I’m fine with the naming - its the function that’s important to me.

Now how is the axial symmetry coming along?

Cheers

DK

I won’t insist, but naming is about finding the function in the first place. :wink:

// Rolf

3 Likes

4 Likes

The command is definitely necessary.

The nomenclature however… as a T-Splines user I think smooth-mode and box-mode were quite intuitive names.

4 Likes

I think making up ‘funny’ words for new tools is a terrible idea as it makes it difficult to remember and awful to teach when Rhino uses nicknames instrad of established terms.

Smooth and Coarse or smooth and cage are better IMO.

3 Likes

Smooth and Coarse or smooth and cage are better IMO.

Coarse or Jagged (Jagged keeps with the way Rhino names other settings like render meshes)

Creamy and Crunchy are fun but maybe people won’t find them easy. :smiley:

Box-mode makes no sense from a ease of a new user stand point, it has nothing to do with a “box”.

Cage-mode maybe but I think a cage implies a visualization of the control cage overlayed with the smooth mode, Like Rhino’s cage edit or like Maya’s “2” mode (in between smooth and coarse displays) This could be a cool additional display mode (like below screenshot)

I’m fine with smooth and think a toggle to turn smoothness on and off would be sufficient.
-> SmoothToggle
No need for naming the unsmooth state and swapping.

6 Likes

Cage is perhaps somewhat confusing as it is used in other commands. It seems to me the words that most precisely describe the visual look are
Smooth and Facets moods.
Certainly the current naming feels inappropriate and uncomfortable.

Akash

2 Likes

I like faceted so a command with options could be
SubDToggle(Toggle Smooth Faceted)
or
SmoothToggle(Toggle SubD Mesh)

4 Likes

That is intuitive IMO.
And I think I would call the command SubdivideToggle as In my mind that is a better reference to what SubD is, but MeshSmoothing is also an established term even though that is not usually used to describe adding faces, but more to describe evening out local “noise” on the mesh.

Cage is perhaps somewhat confusing as it is used in other commands.

And that is why I suggest it as a third intermediate display mode where it is showing as a cage.

I tried to run creamy or crunchy, and I could not, is this released yet? am i missing something?

Hi Michael,

Maybe I’m confused, but this is what I get when I turn on the points of a SubD object:

You can make the control polygon use solid lines instead of dotted. Is this what you mean?

1 Like

Possible non-slang (international friendly) nomenclature:

Topo (topology) - crunchy
Form - creamy
TopoForm - crunchy/creamy

???

Third intermediate mode shown here:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/getting-started/caas/screencast/Main/Details/0a8a5d64-05a9-469d-bed2-c5146b060d2d.html

Indeed, but can you edit the edges and faces via that cage? Or only points :slight_smile: What I know of as this cage in maya is you edit same as faceted but display is smooth inside. So face, edge, vert edit happens on cage level. (not just moving but also things like subdivisions etc.)

Ah, ok. But I think we’ll have to wait until ToSubD supports History to be able to edit the control polygon edges. Oh, but first we need advanced tools to edit interpolated meshes :wink:

1 Like