CPU Heating: Running Rhino inside Revit has cooler CPU Temperature

Hello to all

I noticed that when I run Rhino in Revit and I model there, my CPU temperature is actually far cooler versus if I run it the usual way. The average temperature I get when in Revit is around 50-65 degrees constant. But when I run Rhino in desktop it consistently goes to 75-80, which is undesirable. What’s happening here? Is there windows update I missed?

CPU temperatures depend on utilization of the CPU.

Are you doing different work using Rhino in Revit vs Rhino by itself? That would explain differences in temperature.

CPU temperatures of 75-80 C are not unexpected when the CPU is close to being fully utilized. On my desktop system with a good cooler and open case temperatures of 90 C are not unknown when CPU utilization approaches 100%.

That’s the thing, I tested it doing the same task. When I do the same 3d modeling in Revit, its 50-65 consistently. When I do the same thing in Rhino from desktop, it’s 75-80. Not only this, when I use just plain Revit , without Rhino inside Revit, it still shows me a cooler CPU temperature versus running Rhino desktop.

How are you monitoring CPU temperature? Can you also check CPU utilization?

Mine is the opposite, if I leave going it runs much hotter. I can have 5-6 Rhino instances going with no heat, 2-3 Revits and fans don’t stop (depending on the models)

I’m using my Acer Nitro 7 Laptop and it has a built-in thermometer and fan cooler app. Here are my specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language
Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name LAPTOP-FR48JMGI
System Manufacturer Acer
System Model Nitro AN715-51
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 0000000000000000
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2592 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Insyde Corp. V1.02, 26/03/2019
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 1.02
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer CFL
BaseBoard Product Citigo_CFS
BaseBoard Version V1.02
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = 10.0.19041.1806
User Name LAPTOP-FR48JMGI\Acer_Nitro7
Time Zone SE Asia Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.8 GB
Available Physical Memory 5.47 GB
Total Virtual Memory 21.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 8.52 GB
Page File Space 6.00 GB
Page File D:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Edit: I forgot to mention the name of the app is NitroSense

It looks like the system does not have a separate graphics system so all shading and rendering is done using the CPU. That means differences in what is displayed will affect how much work the CPU does. That directly affects the CPU temperatures?

Is there a difference in the display between working in Rhino and working in Rhino in Revit?

What display mode(s) are you using when working in Rhino? Try setting the display mode to wireframe and see if the temperatures change?

Added: Do you have a separate graphics system / GPU but it is disabled, perhaps by the power setting in Windows 10?

Oh sorry, I didn’t think it would not show my GPU. The GPU of the laptop is a Geforce GTX 1660ti

Run the Rhino command SystemInfo and post the results.

My gpu is not disabled, I could play games on my laptop without issue. That’s what I’m trying to ask is if maybe I have a computer setting that’s causing this. Although, I don’t think it’s a power setting thing because if I just run solely Revit or Autocad, it’s cool. But when I run solely Rhino, it’s hot. Unless I run Rhino inside revit, it’s cooler.

1. Running rhino directly from desktop -

1. Running rhino inside revit

Rhino SystemInfo:

Rhino 7 SR21 2022-7-27 (Rhino 7, 7.21.22208.13001, Git hash:master @ c31aea87137a5d0de449338a7ef6856f49dd4797)
License type: Educational, build 2022-07-27
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10 (10.0.19044 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [96% battery remaining]

Hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 5-28-2019 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (NVidia) Memory: 6GB, Driver date: 6-23-2022 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 516.59
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 1 adapter port(s)
- Video pass-through to primary display device

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 6-23-2022
Driver Version: 31.0.15.1659
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Users\Acer_Nitro7\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\ClippingBox (4dfff1df-5f09-43ae-a044-77b115244b02)\1.0.0.0\Rhino 6\ClippingBox.rhp “ClippingBox” 1.0.0.0
C:\Users\Acer_Nitro7\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\TeDAsharp (ce983e9d-72de-4a79-8832-7c374e6e26de)\0.1.0.0\TeDaSharp_050.rhp “TeDAsharp” 0.1.0.0
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V7\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”
C:\Users\Acer_Nitro7\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\SubstanceImporter\2.0.1\Substance.Win.rhp “SubstanceImporter” 2.0.1.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\BlockEdit.rhp “BlockEdit” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Users\Acer_Nitro7\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\PanelingTools\2021.3.2.446\PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools”
C:\Users\Acer_Nitro7\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\SectionTools\2020.12.7.446\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

There are a lot of variables here so it is difficult to tell why the GPU run hotter with Rhino by itself. Most of the time when the CPU is running hooter there is a tighter calculation loop running on the CPU. So with both Rhino and Revit running in the same process, the application essientially becomes more multip-threaded. So the CPU would need to switch tasks more often and this could potentially allow to CPU to run cooler as not all the threads have the same computational intensity.

A good example of this is rendering. Many rendering threads use the CPU and not the GPU. Raytracing for instance can be a very tight and efficient loop on the CPU and can really heat things up. If the rendering is only on one thread, then switching to other less efficient threads would allow the CPU to cool down a little as the average utilization would drop. It is possible the when Revit is not the host application, Rhino can run the CPU harder.

Now having said that, a temperature of 76 degrees is not that bad. I would only worry if the chips get up to 100 C. It is at that point that longevity would be a problem. There are some power settings if there was an overheating problem. You can drop Maximum Processor Power to 98% or 97%:

Are you seeing any stability issues?

Hi @scottd

Thanks for the elucidation. I’m gonna try and tweak the battery consumption settings. As for stability, everything seems fine. It just struck me as a little weird that running Rhino by itself goes up to 70-80 degrees Celsius without really rendering much. I was concerned if maybe it’s a problem with my computer. Just curious, when you run rhino are you getting up those temperatures as well? It would be nice, I think, if Rhino could be cooler just like in RIR because I do most of my work on my laptop, and mechanically it’s better for lower temperatures so that my cooling fans won’t get too stressed and therefore have a longer lifespan. In any case i’ll take more steps to cool my laptop.