Continue curve using Polyline command

Hi there

I’m wondering if it’s possible to continue a Polyline (arcs/line segments) using ContinueCrv; where all the options of the Polyline command are available?

Cheers,
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy -

No. With polylines, you don’t worry about continuity with the existing line and, so, you can just start a new polyline and join those.
-wim

You do actually if you are using arcs in the ‘polylines’… @jeremy The thing is, in Rhino ‘polylines’ that include arc segments (as per AutoCAD) are not really polylines - they are polycurves.

1 Like

Thanks helvetosaur,
This was the point; when ending on an arc, I wanted to be able to continue with an arc/line combination.

Regarding the differences between rhino polycurves and autocad polylines;
I have learned this the hard way; trying to recreate an autocad project in rhino, then exporting to DWG, and importing to Autocad.
When importing to autocad, and the autocad>3ds workflow specified by school, there were some serious issues with the 3ds rendering of rhino ‘polylines’/polycurves. I have had to redraw everything in Autocad using its polyline tool.
Is there any way around these software differences? Or will there always be some ‘conversion’ which can corrupt the purity?

Cheers,
Jeremy

Well, perhaps you can describe in more detail your “serious issues”… Usually it’s just a matter of choosing the correct DXF export settings. I have rarely run into issues that cannot be solved that way, especially if your exports are mainly lines and arcs.

Thanks Helvatesaur. I think serious issues was an overstatement.
It’s more that I didn’t know the differences between how the different software packages create polylines/arcs/polycurves.

For future reference, may I ask a couple of questions.

• Does exporting to DXF maintain better compatibility between Rhino and Autocad?
  • If so, what settings would you suggest when exporting to dxf to maintain best fidelity of geometry?

Jeremy

DXF or DWG, it’s the same thing, same export settings.

I would start with 2007 Natural (not Default) and check the results in ACAD, then adjust if necessary.

1 Like