Computer Build

I’m looking at building a computer to do 3-D modeling at home for work as well as a little gaming and school. Any recommendations, cpu, minimum ram, graphics cards, ssd or hdd?

-Seth

Hi, seth2

For rhino specifically, you don’t need a lot of anything. Any basic laptop/pc (i5/8gbram/ssd) would do just fine. But of course for rendering/gaming go with the max specs. Especially with rendering having a very good cpu(for keyshot) would do wonders with render time.

There is a link to System Requirements, with detailed sub-pages for both Mac and Windows Rhino on the Support page on the Rhino Web site.

I’m aware, just wondering if people out there have recommendations above min specs.

If you read it, you’ll see they aren’t “minimum specifications.”

The biggest issue people run into is choosing a graphics adapter that doesn’t support OpenGL very well.
The ubiquitous embedded Intel and AMD Radeon adapters are generally pretty poor, but they will work some better for V6 when it is released.

Thanks! apologies.

No worries. Most of us are conditioned to expecting minimum specifications. As you know, we do things a little differently…

Thank you I needed the same info for my pc…

I just put this build together last month and couldn’t be happier. It’s an absolute beast of a machine. I don’t game but do music production.
Check it out:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Dskc9J

Are you over-clocking it at all?

I don’t know. I was recommended this build from a friend using rhino and keyshot…
I put it together and installed the software.
How does one over clock? Please excuse my ignorance.

Overclocking is where you push your CPU beyond it’s stated maximum clock speed. This is usually done through the motherboard’s BIOS at startup. I was asking because I have a system with a 2700x as well and experimented a bit with over clocking, but didn’t find it to be super helpful and had no noticeable advantage over the stock clock speed of the 2700x.

Ok, thanks for explaining.
The guy that recommended the system did say it was smoking fast due to over clocking…
I set up the bios and don’t remember that option.

hey,
cpu, gpu and mobo are a good choice, I run on an 2700X myself.
but why do you choose a micro ATX case for the itx motherboard? you should also know that the case does not have very good airflow. on first glance one might think it has very good airflow because literally all surfaces are filled with punch holes. but the punched holes are just too small, so it blocks the airflow more than it benefits it. this is a review for the Q500 - it is a nearly identical case.

regarding the RAM:
for ryzen cpus, the best choice is to get RAM that has samsung B-die modules. the ones you chose don’t have those. since RAM prices have come down quite a bit lately you can find modules with samsung b-die for a good price. these ones are cheaper and better suite the CPU. they have samsung b-die, run at 3200mhz as well and have tighter timings. I have them and they run at the advertised speed and timings out of the box perfectly.

cooling:
if you use the stock cooler, you will not be able to get the best performance out of the cpu. the 2700X will only be able to hold its boost frequency for a very short period. with a proper cooler you have less noise and better performance. I have the Noctua NH-U12A. this one and that one for example are both cheaper but still decent. please don’t use the stock cooler.

overclocking:
don’t overclock a ryzen CPU. you can activate the PBO feature in the UEFI - ASUS has implemented it very well. this automatically runs the maximum clock in regards to the power the mainboard is able to provide and the thermals of the cpu. means that with a mother board that has a good VRM and with a propper cooler on your CPU, PBO will figure out the best possible speed automatically.
if you chose to overclock manually, you can only do this with all cores. since there is a power limit you will never be able to get an all core frequency that is near as high as the boost frequency which one or few cores are able to achieve. you will basically get less good single core performance.
keyshot wants max multicore performance, of course. but with PBO and a better cooler, a very high all-core boost will be achieved as well (check out undervolting).
AMD has done a great job with the PBO feature. you automamatically get the best possible performance/frequency you particualr CPU is able to provide/hold, if good cooling is there. they simply eliminated the need for manual overclocking.

regarding the PSU:
generally I don’t think cheap power suplies are a wise choice. just in terms of power delivery it is enough.

SSD:
the newer/updated EVO PLUS models are available.

the graphics card:
though I personally like to support the underdog (have two RX580 in my system), for rhino an nvidia GPU is simply the best choice. the GTX 1660 Ti is a very good value choice for rhino, imo, because the RT and tensor cores you get upwards the 2060 aren’t gonna do anything for you in rhino (but maybe this changes in the future?).

this is how mine looks:

:wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice! The only excuse I have would be ignorance… I’ve never built a computer before. I did get a few things wrong since I couldn’t find the exact build (it’s posted on a site that is down at the moment)
I actually used this mother board:

And this case:

If you don’t mind I’d like to get your advice before I build my next one.

Thanks again!

1 Like

you’re welcome :blush:

regarding the strix B450 motherboard:
it does not have a powerful VRM (voltage regulator module, provides the CPU with power). this is normally absolutely no problem but you hinted that you would use keyshot. this stresses all cores to the max and is not considered a workload normal for the crowd this motherboard is intended for (gamers). so if you would render for an extended amount of time (like over night), your VRM might overheat and start to throttle. but you are likely only to run into this issue if your pc-case isn’t well equipped with fans. this test shows you what I mean. use pwm fans, connect them to the motherboard 4-pin headers and use the fan control in the UEFI (try the different profiles, silent or standard should be fine). oh and btw, always update the UEFI to the latest version.

for context:
CPUs like the 2700X need boards with good VRMs (more that 4 phases), if you want to utilize all the performance they can offer. typically only X470 boards are equipped with VRMs that have 6 phases and more. those boards are expensive and generally only start at 150bucks. it’s the same for the intel 9700K and 9900K, they draw even more power and need Z390 boards which are even more expensive.

1 Like