Complex geometry export to solidworks for cfd

I have a rather curvy blob shape that was designed in Rhino and needs to be exported to solidworks… In solidworks it needs to be a solid so that it is recognized by the CFD engine. any advice as to best practices for exporting to solidworks? Thanks

Try this:

1. Ensure that your object is a “closed polysurface” in Rhino.

2. Export as STEP

You can try importing the native .3dm in SW too.

You’ll need to save to V4 format for this - SW does not read V5 files.

-Pascal

Is there a proper method to check if a surface is a closed poly surface? Selbadobjects? Are there methods to heal a broken surface? How can i make a bad object good? Thanks

First step of checking if a surface is close is to check for naked edges with ShowEdges with Naked edges selected. A closed polysurface should not have any naked edges.

thank you for all your advice!

so I have ensured its a closed poly surface in rhino, checked that there are no naked edges and saved as a 2014 before exporting as a step. and still some of the surfaces to the shape do not import…? Any other ideas would be appreciated. I also tried to open the 3dm file in swx with no luck. thanks e

Look up the file formats that both SW imports and Rhino exports and try them one at a time. Occasionally this will work, though STEP is the go-to.

Identify the surfaces that do not import and see if you can recreate them in Rhino via different means. Sometimes it is just how the surface was generated.

More people should bug Dassault about that. Rhino to Solidworks is a common workflow.

While at it, bug Autodesk to add .3dm export to Fusion 360. The two compliment each other well.

I use Step 214 and most times the crucial element is the edge tolerance of the solid. Run the What command on the model and check the edge tolerance. It’ll say 0 to something… if my hunch is correct here, the problem is that the edge tolerance is too loose. In my experience, this is what causes the model to have gaps in SW. If you can get the edge tolerance to a thousandth or tighter, I bet it will solve the problem. To do this in Rhino, you’ll need to Explode>RebuildEdges>Join and then run ShowEdges>Naked edge display to find the problem spots. These will need to be remodeled manually.

1 Like

Maybe you can also try to save as 3dm, and convert it to sldprt with a third party converter, in order to avoid any intermediate format. You should get better results.
CrossManager can do that: http://www.datakit.com/cad-convertors/rhino-to-solidworks-3d/67-3-0.html