Complete newb question - how to attach a logo onto a cylinder?

Hi everyone,
Incredibly new to computer modelling – just started with rhinoceros and fell in love with it.

I’m trying to create a really thin land rover circular badge to paste onto my car key (not a sticker)

I’m using this image as reference, downloaded from http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/logo/land-rover-7

They also provide the .ai file of the logo.

The circle has a height of 0.005 inches and a radius of 0.281 inches.
Trying to ‘print’ the logo on (and slightly extruded above) the circle.

Could you folks please advise me on how should I go about? I’m totally clueless.

Thanks for taking the trouble!

I think understand what you’re after but post a model or other reference images if not. It sounds like you want to make a physical emboss of the logo on the flat top of a capped cylinder. Maybe this is for a 3D print. If that’s right, I’d suggest using the PictureFrame command to import the reference image you have now and scale it using the Scale command or the Gumball until it’s the right size. Then lock it and use the Curve command to trace the lines of the letters making sure to use end Osnaps as you go so that you end up with closed curves for each shape or two closed curves as in the case of the D etc. Then use the command ExtrudeCrv with the Solid option enabled to make the physical letters at the height desired. Move them into position and BooleanUnion with the cylinder after that.

You could also try to use the ai file but my experience has been they tend to be open paths not suited to making closed 3D models. You can clean up the curves or redraw them as I’ve suggested… I think the latter is usually faster.

1 Like

Thanks BrianJ! That’s exactly what I intended to do.

I tried to import the .ai file and it turned out like this

Are the missing parts open paths as you meant?
Sorry for asking but I have totally no experience with 2D design.

Sorry for asking again, regarding your other method of tracing the image via curves, may I know what curves do you recommend I use to trace it?

I have quite a hard time trying to trace the odd-shaped letters like O.

Perhaps there are some tutorials on tracing images that I could trouble you to point me to please?

Thanks!

This .ai provided is very messy. I clean it up so you can easily use it in Rhino.
land_rover_logo_cleaned.pdf (70.3 KB)

1 Like

Holy shoot! Thanks Toby!!! Really appreciate it!

May I know how did you go about cleaning up the file? Really interested to learn if I could trouble you to briefly explain.

I did this in Illustrator. It is “just” filtering out the outlines. The problem with shaded and shadowed vector art is, you need a lot of objects and layers to get the right appearance.

Are you using Illustartor and need further tips for cleaning up vector art?

1 Like

Thanks Toby!

Yup I am!
I haven’t actually tried using Illustrator before, will take a look at some tutorials.

If the logo were to be a fancy 3D badge with say, a curved front and beveled sides that you want to attach to the cylinder, you could:

Make a copy of the cylinder.
Explode a copy of the cylinder,
Unroll the cylinder developable surface,
Create a flat surface to use as a source.
Place a copy of your logo badge on the source surface.
Flow along surface using the flat source and the cylindrical target.
(You would not want the option to keep the object ridged checked.)

Rather than messing with Pi and math, you could:
Slice the cylinder copy to how big you want the logo, in both directions.
Unroll it,
Resize (a copy) of your logo to the unrolled size
Flow it, as in above.

I’d use the Curve command mostly and make two control points only for the straight lines. Make new curves snapping to the previous curves end point using Osnaps. Any spot with a corner marks a new curve location. Use the Ellipse command with the Deformable option for the ellipses. Don’t forget you can turn on control points and edit the curves too. Join curves together into polycurves too to keep them together while editing.

Check out the Dragonfly image tracing tutorial in the Rhino for Mac user guide here too…
http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/mac/usersguide/en-us/index.htm