Circle packing my coloured mesh without losing the colours

I have a coloured mesh which is constructed with nonregular rectangular faces. My previous goal was deleting this faces based on its “distance” from a colour and I could achieve this thanks to David’s reply from another thread.

I now have a rectangular packed coloured mesh, which I can cull its faces based on a colour I want. My current goal is making the current rectangular faces as circle packing and make that colour based deletation as in circles.

I can not have the desired result by circle packing it in the first step because this way i loose my current colours. However I do know that one can pack each rectangular face as circles so I guess it is some way possible but I cannot move forward.

We can deconstruct meshes and construct it with new information. So my question is: Similar to that, is there a way to convert my mesh’s each face to circle packed faces WITH the same colours? So I can apply the cull definition to this coloured circle faces?

English is not my mother language and I am new on grasshopper. I know that my current mesh is not the ideal at all. But I would appreciate any small help. Thank you.

Hi @glowingkakao,

I had a look, but I have to say the definition doesn’t make much sense to me.
You take the center points of the mesh faces as number inputs to the colour gradient (when you connect a point or vector data type where a number is expected, Grasshopper takes the vector length or distance of the point from the origin).
Then you connect these per face values as inputs to the Mesh Colours component, which expects per vertex colours. The ordering of the faces and vertices of a mesh don’t usually have any particular predictable relationship, so the colours you are assigning are effectively pseudo random noise. Then this group is labelled ‘Tension Analysis’?

We could help with ways of linking all this to circle packing, but I feel what’s there in this definition already is quite confused, and adding further complexity on top of this won’t be helpful for you to learn from.
If you are new to Grasshopper I’d recommend building up from simpler definitions first, trying to be clear about their logic and understand which data types are being passed between components.

1 Like

I know that they make no sense and it is not a real tension analysis. This is just a representative, “fake” coloured mesh. My PC is not good enough to handle any other real analyses plug-ins so I had to badly imitate. Please don’t look at that part and look at the rest of coloured mesh. I did achieve circle packing while trying but my main question is: is it possible to match circle faces to rectangle faces and make them have the same colours?

So I could achieve the solution by connecting my culled, coloured mesh to Weaverbird’s Mesh Window, Mesh Thicken and Catmull-Clark Subdivision. My thickness parameter was the Bounds I connected to my beloved Colour Gradient.

I also created two alternative grids for the final. The first one wraps the whole body and the second one wraps only the remaining faces. The end.