Cinematography

In the old days, 3D animation was my thing. Recently I’ve been printing, mainly quite large objects. Sometimes our clients want a good old fashioned animation of the print-to-be, so I decided to give Bongo a turn. Seems nice, but something is puzzling me. In any animation tool, it would be possible to create several camera’s and easily switch between them. In Bongo it seems the only solution is to use the Bongo Animation Sets. Opening this tab again and again does take some time. Is there a better option to switch between camera’s? Best would be to hit play and use an arrow key to select a different camera.

Hi Gerbert, welcome to the community.

Animation sets serve to make identical objects behave differently. It won’t help you to create several cameras and easily switch between them. Indeed in Bongo switching in between Views isn’t feasible during a Preview of an animation.

A straightforward technique might be to make various ‘takes’ of the scene from the desired various camera-positions (you can easily define them using Named Views) and combine the ‘takes’ in some post production application (e.g. Adobe Premiere or NCH VideoPad)?

Luc

Hi Luc. Thanks! On the topic: I did try named views first. If I keep the windows open, cam animation works, but when I close the windows the animation is gone. It seems the cam anim is only stored temporarily? When I use animation sets it’s a matter of double clicking the camera and all is fine, animation is there. The only thing is you can keep the named view panel open and the Animation Sets panel not.

Gerbert,
Do I understand correctly that you only have camera movement(s) but that your the object(s) in the scene are motionless?
Luc

Correct. Well, for now yes. I think most of the stuff will be just camera movement.

As far as I understand the animation data of a View is stored somewhere in the Viewport data window itself. You’ll notice that when you close an animated View this dialog pops up.

This includes that every Viewport can have its own animation, its own camera.
Rhino allows you to have as many Viewports as you need. This gives you the ability to create a monitor screen similar to the ones security people are used to.

In Gerbert.3dm (131.7 KB) 3 Views are animated = 3 Cameras. Still no switching though. I guess this is the best Bongo can do for you.
I wonder what the final product of your project is. Where does the camera-switching come in?

Luc

Hi Luc. Is it possible to send a Rhino7 file? Haven’t upgraded yet :slight_smile:

I just made a file where I have 20 ready views, all with animation enabled. next time I just insert a rhino block and start animating. This works, I think I’ll keep this as a standard procedure. Thanks!

What an enthusiasm! I assume you no longer need the Rhino 7 version, but anyway:
Gerbert 7.3dm (132.3 KB)

Glad to be of help.
Luc

Thanks. Maybe, a shortcut for the bongo play button would help. Press once, play. Another for stop. Then just switch camera’s with named views.

All depends on what your goal is. Mainly the end product of a Bongo model is a movie. I still don’t see why you need the camera switching during a Preview?
Luc

First step is storyboard, then animatic, then edited previews. Exporting every preview for editing takes time. If you can do this in animation tool, changes are made much faster. Switching between camera’s helps to make the best transition from one shot to the other, Best would be to be able to reverse the timeline, so you can play backwards too. Hit play, change your camera at the end of the timeline, move to the next camera, see the transisition, hit reverse button, see transition in reversal, change camera etc etc.

I haven’t used Bongo in ages, I would guess there’s some way to do this, but you’re generally gonna render out individual shots from Rhino and assemble them in a so-to-speak “real” editing program. You could just have janky transitions between all the camera positions and remove the in-between frames there, or assemble the separate shots. It’s not worth trying to figure out some clever way to do this in Bongo, that’s not what it’s for.

All animation tools provide a timeline where you can switch camera’s. Just an example:

It’s not much different from the Bongo timeline, but you can change camera’s (as well as select objects, bones and lights). Also you can play forward and backward. This kind of interaction was handy in the old days, but with realtime shading you even have a better idea of what is going on in your scene.

Indeed, as Jim pointed out, Bongo isn’t meant to edit entire movies. The plugin’s core business is to bring Rhino objects to life and the basic result is a series of images (which can possibly be assembled by the video encoder). For example, Bongo’s Timeline unit is the “tick”. The ratio tick to seconds and/or frames isn’t considered to be important but until the final frames are to be rendered. Hence there is e.g. also no way to step through the animation frame by frame.

Also, for Bongo working with various camera’s is not self-evident because Rhino (the foundation for the plugin) only has one camera to define the image in a Viewport - hence my multiple Viewport solution.

As for the final product I would like to point out that the Render Animation dialog offers the possibility to render only a range of frames.

This allows you to divide the animation in a sequence of scenes (with the various camera positions), render them separately (eventually with some bleed zones), and compile them via some post production app (e.g. NCH VideoPad), thus saving unnecessary rendering time.

It takes some arithmetic to figure out the frames needed for a specific scene. In Bongo’s WIP a TimeManager is introduced including the ratio’s tick/seconds/frames.

Luc

Hi Luc,

indeed, Bongo is not for editing. I would personally recommend DaVinci Resolve for that. Incredible editing tool, better than Premiere, and free (). Still, skipping back and forth in your animation tool is quite important. Anyway, let’s leave it for now. It works as it works.

I don’t really understand the problem very well. Isn’t ‘Scrubbing’ the Timelineslider or stepping suitable for your project?
Scrubbing

Luc

Sorry for the OT but
When Bongo 3 will be released?
I’m eager to add it to my courses.

We don’t have a schedule for the release, but you’ll know we’ll be getting closer once we move to the Beta stage, which isn’t yet. There’s still going to be some bigger changes to Bongo 3 before we move over to Beta.

Thanks for the reply, any hints of what’s will be new? :grinning: