Render "named view animation"?

Hi,

the named view manager allow to enable a “named view animation”. This is quite good looking and I need to render this animations per V-Ray. How can I do it? Doe’s the Rhino animation tool not support it?

@marika_almgren @Luc I tried to render from view to view per Bongo, but it’s very difficult. I found no quick and easy way. Per paths it’s difficult and per saved camera views per keyframe too. Did I have overseen something?

My dream would be to define view A1/A2/A3/A4 and render a smooth animation trough all this views. Also I would like to save additional sequences like B1/B2/B3 and C1/C2/C3/C4/C5.

Sounds like classic basic task, but it’s not easy to get done or? Attached a simplified scene. (Finally it’s a view in an open air plane lavatory like here.)

Some years before I tested Enscape and it was supporting view animations in an easy and very effective way. I wonder that there is no direct way at Rhino.

-Micha

Test View Animation.3dm (740.6 KB)

You can render a named view animation directly from the Named View panel with this button

It looks like you just created view keyframes from the named views. If you look at the Bongo View Properties and turn on “Show camera path”, “Draw points on camera path”, and “Show target path” you’ll get a better idea of what’s happening to the view. The Camera command might also help.

The view animation has a bunch of sharp turns and the target shifts around making the animation jerky and unpleasant.

I would suggest trying to constrain the view target since it appears to me to be the main issue. I don’t think Bongo is smart enough to just know how to create a pleasant blend between Named Views. It blends based on the tweens on the keyframes. Giving it more information about how to get from A to B with more keyframes/constraints would be a good start.

Hi @Joshua_Kennedy,

if I press the suggested button than I only get the animation parameter for the Rhino view animation but I see no way to render this camera movements. It would be great if the user could select views from a list, set the order and render this view animated. An option “pause per view in s” could allow to get smooth pauses at every position.

The Bongo setup was a test what happens if I save the different views to the time line. Right, the default camera movement interpolation is jerky. This test shows how difficult it is to render a camera animation from view to view per Bongo. I expect a smooth movement like from the basic Rhino view animation but the tweening isn’t pleasant.

So, we have a basic Rhino view animation which can’t be rendered and a not smart enough Bongo tweening. What will be the solution for the future? :wink:

Micha,

There is the “Named Views Wizard”.

It kind of does what you described above.

In my experience though the result is often somewhat disappointing.
I personally prefer to work with the camera and target constraints - as shown in this video.

Luc

1 Like

Just now I remembered what I made the video for. Have a look, there is more.

1 Like

Thank you for your hints. At the other thread I found your statement:

This was also my impression and let me start this thread. It sounds so easy to animate a camera, but it’s quite difficult some times. I need to think a bit more about why it’s so difficult and what might be a better solution. :slight_smile:

In Enscape it was impressive easy but it was a long time ago and I can’t remember the details.

Hi Micha,
I wrote the Camera / Target animation for Flythroughs method above, and I still use it for all my Bongo animations.
The other issue I find with Bongo is the “Ease to / Ease from” keyframe commands dont really work that well so it is still hard to get a predictable result.

1 Like

Hello Mike,

I assume it is this section in the KeyframeEditor you are referring to.
Have you ever examined the effect in the CurveEditor?
Ease in and out
Doesn’t appear unpredictable to me.

Luc

Hi Luc, Thanks for that.
I did have a quick look at the curve editor, I am used to using the similar function in 3Ds Max, I will give it another try.
Regards,
Mike.

Edit …
Thanks Luc,
I have fixed the issue with my camera movement, is there a way to manually grab the end of the “Lever” (Handle) and drag it to where you want it ? I found I can control the lever length using “Tension” which works well.
Also, you can see the curve editor is quite busy, is it possible to isolate one aspect of the movement, IE, X rotation, Z rotation etc ?
Regards,
Mike.

In the Tweening section of the Keyframe Editor you find the option “Custom”

This option offers ‘handlebars’ (the official name for “levers”) to control the curve at your discretion.
handlebars

At first the handlebars are rather small (namely 1 tick) –you might have to zoom in to see them.
contextmenu
As you see the Tweening options are also available in a right-mouse-click menu in the Curve Editor.

The ‘Custom’ option however is not available for Position data of a Object-animation with 3D-tweening enabled, and neither for Location in a View- animation when ‘Spherical tweening’ is not enabled.
In both cases the tweening of the motion is split up in 2 aspects; the curvature of the path on one hand and the speed of the travel along that path on the other. I assume the algorithm for combining both is too complex to allow interference by handlebars (is it @Joshua?).
BTW The same splitting Curve path/Travel also occurs for some Properties like Color, Difuse color and Glossy Color.

The object’s attribute tree is the answer to you second question.
Tree
Unfortunately there is some unpleasant automatically zooming active while switching in between branches. A leftover from a very old YT issue.

Have fun,
Luc

Awesome,
Thank you !

1 Like