Changes made to the Thunder Fifty

While the hull is currently being tooled up, the builder asked for some positive changes. Those did require a brand new center console but once the form moved from my head to the smarter CPU, I was able to make most of the changes reasonably quickly. There are now two distinct versions of the Thunder Fifty: The Leisure Model and the serious Fish Killer Model. I present both here and now…cheers, Rob

11 Likes

Excellent design!

Just a point and question:

were not two motors enough for the boat?
Don’t four motors impose a high weight on the back of the boat, while the rear edge has a short height to water?

When I started the design, the client/builder was having a hard time finding outboards that would limit the number to two. (it’s even harder to find these today!) As of now, Mercury has come out with V12 Verado outboards that put out as much as 800 HP! There slightly smaller model times two would easily suffice. These are pricey, spectacular motors wherein only the lower unit rotates to steer the vessel and not the entire motor. I would love to see a pair of those on this rocket!

1 Like

Very nice work - the owner will definitely have a lot of fun with his new toy. How fast is the boat going. How do you get the water surface - with Rhino the material is moving water in the material selection - but that doesn’t really look real - that’s why I only depicted my gentleman’s racer in dry dock.
greeting
Rainer

I had concerns early on about too much weight aft, and performed a weight study early on. Because of the nature of this type of boat, the LCB is a bit further aft than many others enabling the weight study balance with ease

I rendered in V5 with Flamingo using that render’s water that I adjusted.

Such beautiful designs. You are quite talented, and you have a great personality.

I am new to this. I will not be designing beautiful boats like yours. I will just be helping with the design of 20-26 foot water jet boats for river and brief ocean.

I am curious how you convert this 3D drawing into 2D dxf files if, as an example, a water jet cutter is used. Will CAD Exchanger help with that process. It is a lot of parts.

Great work! thanks for sharing!

Coming from you, Kyle that is a huge compliment. But I have been using Rhino since it was a free Beta download in the 1990’s. When first starting out, I had so many little bits here and there to make up the entirety of whatever it was I was working on. Nowadays, things are quite a bit more efficient!

1 Like

good work