Captured Image Color Difference

Hi all,

I am on iMac 27 (2020’) and Rhino Version 7 (7.7.21160.05002, 2021-06-09).
The color on a viewport differs from captured - I tweaked the built-in Arctic to shade objects with ‘rendering material’. I have had no issue with the color change in the past. Please take a look at the image below.

Thanks,

W

Hi W - are you using the ViewCaptureToFile command to get your image or some other way?

-Pascal

Pascal, I am using the command. Mac OS’ capture works fine. Thanks,

Thanks, I see this as well.
RH-64739 View capture washes out color

-Pascal

Thanks,

W

Hi Pascal,

Just wanted to follow up on the viewport capture issue. I see you created the ticket for the issue, but it seems like the issue is still there. When do I expect this to get resolved? I do capture lots of images for the job and it is very inconvenient to capture screens using the mac os’ capture tool - no scale, post-processing (crop) etc…

Thanks,

Woojae

Not true, you can use Preview to scale as well as crop pretty much any image on macOS. It can also do other post-processing steps like adding filters, text, annotations, sketches, etc. It’s far more convenient and capable than ViewCaptureToFile.

Not true. Maybe it is okay if you are capturing a few images, but if you have to capture hundreds of images, would you crop them one by one? I typically set everything exactly as I prefer then captures series of images of variations (design alternatives?) that way I can just drop them on a document. Most often the times, I scale them up higher resolution when capturing, which is not even possible with the capture tool in the OS. Of course, you can do the batch processes in Photoshop, but I am trying to minimize any post-processing steps. Even if you can do the same, it should function as it is intended. Color is a very sensitive matter for architects and designers, and in any case, it shouldn’t be changing or affected by the capturing methods.

Well for single images and manual operations, it is better, in my opinion. Although, it can also do some batch processing, and in a much more straightforward fashion than for instance Photoshop!

It’s possibly better to do that with ViewCaptureToFile, since I imagine you get a viewport rendering with a higher resolution, instead of upsampling an existing image in Preview.

However, it is possible to resize multiple images in Preview:

• open them all at once
  • select their thumbnails in the sidebar
  • go to Tools > Adjust Size and configure the operation
  • go to File > Save

Yes, I fully agree with that.