Can't see lines

Current WIP, can’t see lines. Curves yes but no lines

Hi @martinsiegrist,

Can you paste Rhino’s System Information here? Help -> System Information....

What is the least amount of steps you need to reproduce the problem? What display mode are you in?

-David

Open a file, draw a line. The line is visible in Rendered mode and I can select the line in any display mode. When switching to Raytraced in the Perspective viewport, the line shows up in the other viewports in Shaded mode but then goes away when I zoom.

System info below:

Rhino 8 SR0 2021-4-6 (Rhino WIP, 8.0.21096.12305, Git hash:master @ 953efa594edf90b45b18f31fb4ef97cc795eec4c)
License type: Kommerziell, build 2021-04-06
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 2021-05-21

Windows 10.0.19042 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [100% battery remaining]

Hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 10-7-2019 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro P4000 with Max-Q Design (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 3-10-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 461.92
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Secondary monitor is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #1

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 3-10-2021
Driver Version: 27.21.14.6192
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files (x86)\Evolute\EvoluteTools T.MAP for Rhino 6\EvoluteCoutHook.rhp “EvoluteCoutHook”
C:\Users\martinsiegrist\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\KeyShot9RhinoPlugin (ecfe8d1f-876a-460f-aa5e-3dd816936811)\1.0.0.0\KeyShot9RhinoPlugin\Rhino 5.0\KeyShot9RhinoPlugin.rhp “KeyShot9RhinoPlugin” 1.0.0.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 8.0.21096.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 8.0.21096.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 8.0.21096.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 8.0.21096.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 8.0.21096.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

So you can’t see the line in Wireframe mode unless you’ve selected it? If your Wireframe display mode has modifications, can you please export the display mode settings to a file? After exporting, press the Reset to defaults button. Does it work now?

Even if you just add a line to an empty scene, can you still save the file and attach it here?

-David

No modifications done to the display modes.

A file with one line:

one_line.3dm (26.3 KB)

I see the issue and I’m working on a fix.

1 Like

@martinsiegrist,

Just a quick check - do you happen to have the tessellation shader disabled? Do TestGLTessellationShader and set Enabled=On.

-David

With this set to On, I can see the line.

Was it set to Off by Default?

I’m glad it works now!

No, it’s not off by default. That’s what’s confusing me. Even so, line drawing should work even when it’s off, so there’s definitely a bug here. I will continue investigating. Thank you for reporting this!

-David

1 Like

I found the bug which caused the lines not to draw and the fix is going into Rhino WIP right now. I still don’t know why your tessellation shader was disabled. Below are three ways to have them disabled:

1. Rhino detected that a user is drawing the viewports with an Intel GPU that is using an older OpenGL version (OpenGL 4.3 or lower). According to your System Information, that seems to not be the case.
  2. Tools -> Options... -> Advanced changing Rhino.Options.OpenGL.UseTessellationShaders to False.
  3. Can be disabled using the test command TestGlTessellationShader.

Let’s hope this doesn’t cause any more trouble for you.

-David

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I have not done anything to the settings

this is happening to me eek so annoying :frowning:

That problem was three years ago.

1 Like

I can see that lol but it’s happening to me and i’ve just downloaded the new Rhino 8 to test and see if it’s worth me investing. I draw a line and can’t see anything, it’s very frustrating.

type _SystemInfo and copy / paste it here using ‘Hide Details’

System Info

Paste your System Info here

1 Like

thanks, i wrote a panic post a few minutes ago and on another topic they’re attending to my concerns. thanks martin. :grinning:

It’s never a good idea to post the same problem into different topics without adding a link. Thanks for not wasting my time any more.