Can't match appearance of single mesh face w/ original mesh

No matter what I do I can’t get the original look of the mesh to apply to my new mesh face that I am using to patch a missing face.

I tried matchproperties to no avail. I joined it and kept it separate and it doesn’t make a difference. I tried flipping the normals too, no dice. It almost seems like the original mesh has some material reflection to it that matchproperties is not applying. When I rotate the model it looks as if it’s reflecting something.

Actually, when I rotate the model, everything is definitely reflecting a light source, and flat mesh faces appear curved, even. But this new face does not behave like the rest of the mesh…

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Before:

After:

Maybe Flip the mesh or run UnifyMeshNormals?

It’s funny, running unifymeshnormals just makes everything look worse.

I opened this mesh from a blender file and it kept a lot of the appearance from blender. Maybe that’s part of the issue? Rhino is trying to match what blendr did but can’t exactly? Dunno…

Hello - I would Weld the mesh if that face is joined to the rest - if it not, then you will probably not get that looking 100%. Feel free to post the object in a 3dm file.

-Pascal

I didn’t try that yet, thanks very much. The mesh definitely has some issues–isn’t super clean. I will post if that doesn’t solve it. Thanks!

Weld definitely helps in some places and hurts in others. I imagine if I extracted part of the mesh then welded it maybe that would work better than doing the entire thing at once. I’ll play around. Meshes suck!

Try unweld at20 degrees too.

1 Like