Can't get NVIDIA 3D shutter glasses working on Rhino 4.0 SR9 with Quadro graphics - any ideas?

Hello, all! I’m running Rhino 4.0 SR9 on a Dell Precision M6600 with Quadro 5010M graphics and an ASUS ASVG248QE monitor connected via DIsplayPort. I just bought a pair of NVIDIA 3D Vision glasses, and while the 3D setup utility and demos work perfectly, I’ve been unable to get Rhino to display anything in 3D, despite having changed the stereo mode settings to “Use hardware 3D shutter glasses” for the viewing methods in question (Shaded, Ghosted, etc.). I’m using the latest drivers for everything; the OS is 64-bit Windows 7. Any insight you might have would be greatly appreciated!

(Brian James) #2

@jeff Do you recall ever having a pair and testing these with Rhino 4?

(Jeff Lasor) #3

Rhino does not support NVidia’s 3D Vision solution. Mainly because NVidia’s 3D Vision does not use OpenGL, it uses DirectX. Rhino’s 3D Support requires the drivers to support OpenGL STEREO modes, a monitor with at least 100Hz refresh rate, and a video card that has a direct connection to the 3D shutter glasses (i.e. the glasses plug into the back of the video card, not into a USB port) for synchronizing the left and right eyes/frames.

At one point NVidia was releasing an OpenGL version of their driver that worked with their 3D Vision, but it was a special download… I was able to hack in a working solution into V5 using such driver, but I have not heard anything about it since, nor have I looked into it since…and certainly nothing was done for V4. Sorry, this feature just doesn’t seem to get much traction and therefore not a lot of attention.

(Jeff Lasor) #4

With that said… It may be possible to manually put the monitor into 3D mode (it’s a setting in NVidia’s 3D configuration settings), and then launch Rhino and select a configured 3D Display mode… That might work, but I can’t guarantee it…again, it all depends on whether or not OpenGL Stereo modes are supported… I do not believe there is any way to get Rhino to automate the process I just outlined…and I am certain that V4 will never be updated to try.

(Brian James) #5

Thanks for the details @jeff