Can't figure out how to print WITH proper lineweights & colors

I keep thinking I’m getting a handle on Rhino, only to find myself stuck on what I would think would be no-brainer problems. My latest problem is:

I’ve created a layout with a few details. The details use the pen display settings.

All of the lineweights printed as hairlines. So, I set the Layout Print Width for each layer in each of the details and ran a print.

All of the lines continue to print as hairlines. I’ve tried modifying the various display types. After a lot of screwing around with this, I’ve come to the conclusion that the Layout Print Width only applies to views that use Wireframe display.

Question 1: Can anyone confirm this?

Question 2: If this is true, what would people suggest for printing my details while controlling the lineweights?

The same question holds true concerning color as well. In the detail shown above, I might want to screen back the frames and columns—say, a 0.50mm lineweight and a 50% gray color—while keeping the flashers and bracket black.

Question 3: Can anyone suggest a comprehensive tutorial for understanding how the display settings, colors, lineweights, etc. work together?

Thanks, in advance.

Hello - set Pen line thickness in Options > View > Display modes >Pen > Objects > Lines page…

-Pascal

1 Like

Pascal -

Thanks for your reply!

Please correct me if I’m wrong—following your suggestion would not let me control multiple lineweights in a single detail. It would just make all of the lines a thicker width. So, does this confirm my first question—the detail printing weights only apply to wireframe display modes?

To get multiple, different line weights in the type of cropped perspective view illustrated above, I must use the “Make2D” command?

Thanks, again, for your help.

Hello - yes, correct, I would say you need Make2D.

-Pascal

Got it. Thanks, again, for your help.

Pascal -

OK, once again, I’m stuck. I tried to use the Make2D command within each of my detail views, and only had partial success.

My first attempt was with this view:
Dtl01A

(Ignore the annotation that was in the paperspace) Although I had to hide a few lines and draw a couple of curves, it came out pretty well:
Dtl01B

My second attempt was with this view (Again, ignore the annotation that was in the paperspace) :
Dtl02A

Although it appears approximately proportional to the first view, it came out about 1/100 the graphical size of the first attempt. Here it is next to the first 2D output. It’s shown by the arrow inside the circle at the lower-left

And, of course, due to what I’m assuming are accuracy problems as Rhino tried to create the super-tiny output, it didn’t come out well:
Dtl02B

Any suggestions what I can do to improve the output from the Make2D command? Please note that I haven’t yet searched the forum for this problem, but will, as soon as I post this.

Thanks, in advance, for your help and suggestions.

Hello - am I correct that you are running Make2d from an active detail in a layout?

-Pascal

I’ve tried it both from an active detail in a layout AND from within the model views. Same outcome.

[edit] Actually, I realized that the first attempt (the one that worked) was done in the active detail. The second one (the fail) was tried both from an active detail AND from within the model perspective view. Again, with the same outcome.

I’ll post the file as you requested.

Can you please zip and upload the file here:

www.rhino3d.com/upload

to my (Pascal) attention, and please also include a screen shot of the Make2d settings.

@technotrope - got it, thanks - V5, I see, that will make a difference too.

@technotrope - I don’t yet understand what’s going on but in that one view, I found that if I unlock it and change to Parallel projection (ViewportProperties, with that detail active) , the Make2d works out.

I’m still poking at it.

Hm. V6 seems to get it right as is.

thanks,

-Pascal

Up until now, I haven’t spent much time considering the upgrade to V6. If I upgrade Rhino, would I also need to upgrade Flamingo?

Thanks, again, for your continued help.

Pascal -

Well, I’m mighty impressed with my first experience with V6! Lots faster. The Make2D command seems more robust and improved. And, since I found out that Flamingo nXt 5.0 works fine in Rhino V6—so that I won’t need to upgrade that as well—I think the upgrade will solve my problem.

Thanks, again, for your help.

1 Like