Cannot Align Surface Pattern of Family - Generic Model

I’m running into an issue when creating materials for generic model families. I don’t yet know if the behavior is similar for other categories, but when I am in both the project and family environments with the element unpinned I cannot align the surface patterns. The entire geometry moves. I can get this to work with direct shape but then none of the surface patterns appear to be mapped correctly which means I have to manually align for hundreds of instances depending on the scenario. It appears as if the pattern is being mapped from the center of each surface, which is fine, but I would like to be able to align the patterns manually when needed or map from the corner of a surface and not the center. Is that at least possible from the grasshopper side?

Thank you all for your help!

You will need to Align on the pattern. Revit isn’t very helpful in this regard.

The first solution is what typically works – align manually by selecting the pattern linework. When creating families in Revit this is how I typically adjust when needed. However, I cannot use this method for some reason when creating a family using RiR. Why is this the case? Do families made via RiR not recognize patterns that can be manually adjusted? Again, the entire geometry moves not just the pattern. Is the direct shape method the only solution that lets you use both of these pattern manipulation options?

Even with creating a Revit Generic Model family via the UI you can only align the pattern in the family editor.

Yes. When I attempt to edit from within the family environment it moves the entire geometry. This doesn’t happen in the family editor with families that I make natively within Revit. When I use RiR to create a family, then try to edit the pattern within the family editor, the whole geometry moves even with everything unpinned. I am selecting the pattern line too.

Thank you for fielding my questions. I’m just trying to determine what my limits are in terms of material creation and which geometry creation method is best – direct shape or family.

This is a native Revit family. The pattern behaves as expected. This is not what I experience in a RiR family.

Can you provide some RiR systeminfo (in the More>About) and an example? I’m not seeing this behavior. Thanks.

Thank you for continuing to look into this issue for me.

About:

This is how the family was created (generic model category):

Revit family:
GM_TESTING_PAT_R21.rfa (356 KB)

I think I know what you are trying to accomplish, give me the weekend to come up with a example.

Hi Japhy,

Were you able to find a solution for this? Does it have to do with the version of Revit that I am using?

Thank you again.

The hatches on direct shapes or family forms are going to have the fixed UV hatch unfortunately.

There are ways to control these on creation, for what you are doing it would be better to use curtain walls/systems (which is what I want to make an example of)

Could you provide an example of how to control these upon creation or confirm that it is possible using native nodes? This seems like a mundane issue but it is causing a huge bottleneck for us since we tend to show patterns on our elevations frequently and we need the geometry to live in the Revit environment (while still designing in Rhino).

I started one but quickly went down a rabbit hole. I’ll simplify and try to make a smaller example to see if that’s the route you want to go.

1 Like

Hi Japhy. Just checking in. Any luck with an example?

Thanks!

Hi Shelco, I’m looking forward to getting back into this one, a bit busy at the moment though, lets plan on early next week.

Thank you so much for working on this problem for us.

Another issue that may be related is that our Revit BIM360 files are extremely slow when we have direct shapes or families loaded into them that were created in RiR. Is this a common issue or something that may be on our end?

I’ve seen this issue with ‘bad’ objects in projects and families, generally imported autocad meshes. Can you post or send us one of the troublesome files? Private Upload

Is this only happening on files hosted BIM360? (vs a local non-workshared model)

Thanks

I’m uploading now. I was going to include multiple files but I messed the first transfer up. apologies.

I just uploaded a new 7z file. Thank you for looking at this for us.

Other files that I have tested were all local projects and not BIM360 hosted. They were more complex surfaces with many small perforations. I still get warnings for some of the geometry shown below, but the model is much faster and is a local project.

Thanks, I’ll dig into these a bit over the weekend. Revit isn’t going to like a ton of physical perforations. Those are generally better done with a opacity material mapping.