Can "Tracking Mode" also happen for Element Parameter?

For most of object baking node in RiR, the tracking mode is pretty handy to set up the linkage type. Is it possible to have that fuction added for the node named “Element Parameter”?

Hi @hali1,

Element Tracking only aplies to those components that create elements.
What kind of tracking do you expect on this component?
Can you elaborate a bit more what do you expect?

Hi Kike, I’m adding a “Rhino Exchange” parameter (bool value) in Revit for the objects baked from Rhino. When the rhino object is first baked in, I tend to have this value as “True”, but I do want to change some of the value to False manually for some elements later. With current setting, it stays “True” for everything as long as I open the script.

Do you mean that under certain condition you would like this component do not set to true the “Rhino Exchange” parameter?

Which condition?
How may the component know it should not update this element any more?

To answer the first quesion, yes. There will be always pieces in a practical architectural project that escape from a parametric loop. Users have to change the parameter of those pieces without being impacted by this initial setting.

For instance, to answer the second quesion, when some one else is working on Revit platform. If that person has my script open and didn’t realize his/her changes of parameter from Revit side would be overwriten by my script, it could definitely cause problem for the project.

The third quesiton is kind of a iteration of my original question. Sorry that I am not sure how it can be done… Either adding a bool value (similar idea was applied to Elefront baking component ) to the component so it has a sort of way to be controled or make something similar to the “tracking model” may help. Is there a way to make it does not take everyting by default?

Thanks!

Does something like this work?

Hali, Similar to a Elefront Bakename process the intent is to overwrite everything going into the component. If you want to be more particular you would Reference and Filter before applying the parameter.

Hi Kike, sorry the Stream Gate will not help much in the situation I discribed. Stream Gate controls and distributes data in GH loop only. It still doesn’t response to a modification from Revit side. For example, if I uncheck the Rhino Exchange parameter from Revit, what do I do to let the change go through same GH component and act as a new input. In another word, how that new input from revit side affect existing “Element Parameter” is ambiguous to me.

Hey Japhy, good to see you again! Could you show an example. I’m not sure I understand your suggestion of using Filter. I understand how to use filter to grab data from Revit pool as initial data source. In our current discussion, a revit Family/Type instance is created from RiR with RiR defined parameters. If I want to change parameters of that Family/Type instance from Revit, it is kind of a self-reference situation when the change is brought back to GH loop.

Or, not sure, if there is a input of these components that when a user is defining the parameter, a default value can be set. In that case, users don’t need to force it to be a value afterwards.

When creating a project parameter in the Revit UI there isn’t an option to set a default, so limited to the Revit API.

I’m still trying to understand the workflow you are looking to accomplish.

If you create a Family and add a Family to a project with a parameter, say Comments: NIC and a user changes said parameter, if you run your definition again the comment would be changed back to NIC. If you didn’t want that behavior you would do that in another definition, no? Reference all said families, filter by NIC comment.

The working environment I have is heavily Revit driven. After struggling with the whole Revit framework, so understandable, if it is Revit API limitation.

I’m tring to set up a testing workflow that allows co-workers in the some Revit project select elements they want to sync between Rhino and Revit. The bool value parameter “Rhino Exchange” is intent to serve that purpose. So that parameter will be turned on/off along with the project development. Because I’m creating a HumanUI interface for this workflow. I expect users don’t need to go to the GH script and do changes.

I see what you mean about the filter now. It is more like a “search → select” workflow. The workflow I’m describing is “Rhino <–> change <–> Revit”. Even though it can’t be an instance automatic response between these 2 platforms, a breath hole that cuts off the current bonded chain will allows other plugins to help.

For Geometry-Related parameters, it might be a nightmare, but should be handy for tags/comments/bool parameters.