Calculating spaces

Hello,
I think it would be really fine if you refine an algorithm for space calculating. Maybe I am doing it wrong, but I can’t get any proper results when there are mixed boundarries: walls, curtain walls and columns. The calculating doesn’t take into account any inner elements, especially columns. As for curtain walls I trick the problem placing such element just inside a wall, with substracted space for curtains. Also, there are some misinterpretation of a volume of a space…

Instead of three different spaces:

I’ve got a single one:

Regards, Jaro

And, as you can see, the calculations are incorrect: the units for height (WYS.) and area (POW.) are displayed as meters, but the volume (OBJ.) is not correct, as if one of the parameters has got centimeters as units, obviously.

Regards, Jaro

And, the “height” problem: frankly, I don’t know why the VA has taken such a value (2.7 m). The height of walls is set to 3.0 m (with a slab at 3.3 m). The problem with a volume could be here: the “shape” of the volume seems to be rather flat, I haven’t measured but could be 2.7 centimeters…
Regards, Jaro

edit: the height is 2.69 cm…

Hi Jaro,
There’s a bug in the Space area calculation that makes them not take into account the columns. For that reason, the space area is not correct and also rooms whose boundary include columns are detected as one single room instead of different ones. We will fix this in the next 2.3 version.

On the other hand, Curtain walls should be detected when inserting spaces. Do you have a 3dm file where this is not working? (please send it to visualarq@asuni.com)

In a document using metric units, the Area is always shown in m2, the volume in m3 and the height and length take the Document units. We are working on adding an option to control in which units you want to show each field in the Space label.

The Space height is 2.7m by default. This value is taken from a default level height of 3m and considering there is a default slab above of 0,3m thicknes. You can always change it from the Space Properties panel.
When you have a level above the level where you insert a space, this takes the height of the level where it is inserted, considering this level height as the difference of elevation between the current and the next level.

Francesc, thanks for your reply!
I will prepare a file, the one I am working on is over 50 MB…
As for the height of a space: now I understand the problem, but what if we have a room with a sloping slab or roof? It would be really great if the VA could calculate a real volume of this room.
Regards, Jaro

This is not computed properly right now. We should develop space objects further to cope with these situations.

Hi Jerry, to cumpute default height, spaces are calculating their default height value from the buidling’s level structure. It uses the elevation from the level where the space is and the next upper level elevation in order to obtain the default elevation for this space.

If there is no level structure defined or there is no upper level defined, you are right that a default 2.7 meters value is used instead.

Hello,
Now I see how it works, but still I think spaces could be calculated according to elements building them. And the matter of units: it shouldn’t be so when the centimeters are document units, and for calculating heights there is a change for meters…
Regards, Jaro

Hi @jerry.bakowski We have fixed the error that made spaces do not detect columns in VisualARQ 2.3 (VisualARQ 2 - Version 2.3 released)

Francesc, I have seen the announcement, and I wonder will it be possible if you prepare an update for RH 5 also? Thanks in advance! :wink:

@jerry.bakowski the new 2.3 version works on Rhino 5 and Rhino 6.

Great, it works :wink: thank you very much!