Building Grasshopper Components Using OS X Only?

Hi Guys! I’m totally new to this, but I was wondering whether there’s a way to build your own grasshopper components using Grasshopper for Mac or using mac apps {like Visual Code or Atom Editor} . . . ?

Sorry for my ignorance !
I’m really confused so I’m just trying to map things out . . .
Thnx. in advance !

Yes indeed. Take a look here for some guides to getting started…
http://developer.rhino3d.com/wip/guides/#grasshopper

but I should note that not all the guides are finished. This is a work-in-progress right now. For the Installing Tools guide, see the RhinoCommon version…it will work for Grasshopper on Mac component development.

1 Like

Thank you so much !

Hi @dan ! I’m sorry to bother you, but sometimes it’s down to that last step . . .
I followed the sites and everything fine except that GH template’s missing !

Is it because of the Xamarin v 5.9.2 (build 0) that I’m using or some other installation file that I’m missing … because I tried the latest Xamarin version and the RhinoCommon Plug-In wasn’t even there . . . !

Please try this with the Xamarin Studio 6.1 and let me know if you have problems there. I’m not seeing this issue in the latest builds. Looks like Xamarin Studio 6.1.1 has broken the Gallery plugins again…looking into it.

Yeah, I guess I must have upgraded it to 6.1.1 without checking Add-in Manager . . .
Now that I installed Xamarin Studio 6.1.0, ‘Grasshopper Component’ is there. I also upgraded Xamarin to 6.1.1 and still it’s seems to be working fine . . .

Thank you, again !

Unfortunately, this is not the first time this has happened…

and it is likely that Xamarin will have to release another patch fix (as they did last time). Stay tuned. I’m glad you got up and running in 6.1 though.

Best,
-Dan

It does not look like Xamarin will need to put out a patch release, it just looks like someone has not (yet) configured the new addin url to work. If you add the old 6.1 url you can see the addins.

You add this by navigating to Xamarin Studio > Add-in Manager and…

1. Navigate to the Gallery tab.
  2. In the Repository drop-down, select Manager Repositories.
  3. Click the Add button and add a new repository with the following URL: http://addins.monodevelop.com/Stable/Mac/6.1/main.mrep

Hopefully they will fix this soon and the above steps will be obsolete.

-Dan

I also encoutered this problem . . .
Got no comment in this one :confused:

Where is your RhinoWIP installed? Please verify that you have the RhinoWIP in: /Applications/

1 Like

I wanted to download the Xamarin Studio for Mac and I get this message: “Download Visual Studio for Mac.”

Why I need Xamarin Studio to develop components for Grasshopper?

It is possible to use Atom instead?

P.S: Found the answer:

Visual Studio for Mac (formerly Xamarin Studio, formerly MonoDevelop)

I have a similar problem.

How can I fix the errors? My RhinoWIP is in /Applications/

Yes, as you have discovered, Xamarin Studio (for Mac) is now Visual Studio for Mac. Yes, you will need Visual Studio for Mac to debug and develop Grasshopper for Mac components.

Not really a good route at the moment.

You’re going to want to edit your .csproj to point to the proper References. Right now, as I can see from your screenshot, you are trying to find References that are on the C:\ drive.

See: http://developer.rhino3d.com/guides/rhinocommon/debug-rhinowip-mac/
That guide has instructions for “manually” editing the paths of your references.

New .csproj projects started with the RhinoCommon addin for Xamarin Studio/Visual Studio for Mac will point to the correct references.

I have an already created .csproj file for a component created on a Windows machine. It is possible to create cross-platform references? I’m using MAC, my friend is using Windows.

Not really a good route at the moment.

The development of Atom seems to be towards a full IDE environment. I prefer Atom over VS.

You can do that manually by adding conditionals in the csproj file. I do that for RhinoCycles. In the same project file:
Referencing RhinoWindows

and

Referencing RhinoMac

Note that VS doesn’t like those particularly much, and can’t show such conditioned entries, but they work fine for building, and negate the need for having seperate solution files.

Another way is to used Cloned .csproj files as outlined in the Your First Plugin (Cross-Platform) guide. It’s a little awkward at first, but once you get it setup, it works well.