Bug: Sweep1 kinky

Hi…,

I have tried Sweep1 with this ellipse and curve, and get this kinky result.

sweep1_ellipse_trouble.3dm (128.2 KB)

Thanks

Michael
www.flexiCAD.com

Aha.
I recently fiddled with trim problems on Sweep1 surfaces.
Perhaps this is the main reason.
I didn’t notice the bad result.

@Michael_Meyer If you check the box “Refit rail”, you will get the V5 style single surface. However, you are right, without that we should still have a valid result, I would think much like an ellipsoid with fully multiple knots at the quadrants…

–Mitch

Hi Mitch,

good point. I haven’t seen this new button, perhaps I need soon glasses. :wink: I hope all other Rhino users will see this.

Thanks

Michael

This is what we should be getting…

sweep1_ellipse_trouble_msh.3dm (203.0 KB)

Edit: looks like something similar to this has been filed as a bug almost a year ago, but did not make it to the fix list for 6.0, still listed as 6.x… @lowell ?

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-37564

(I added a comment to the bug report referencing this post)

Done how?

Can you guess? :smile:

By hand?

Yeah, sorta. I made a circle the size of the smaller ellipse radius and centered on the ellipse; moved the profile over to the circle; Sweep1 the profile on the circle (no refit). The result does not have kinks. Then I used Scale1D to scale the surface back to the original ellipse. QED.

–Mitch

1 Like

This is also in V5, but never showed a visible effect.
No wonder we didn’t try in V6.

That’s because I think pretty much everything was already refit automatically except in certain “special” situations - I don’t recall which though.

@Pascal
Then the best would be, for V6, that the option is selected by default.

Hi Mitch, all - we got quite a bit flack, back then, for ‘rounded rectangle’ type sweeps - straights and tangent arcs, a common thing - being single complex surfaces and not polysurfaces with simpler faces:

-Pascal

Makes sense.
Good to have this argument.