Bug: rhino.inside operations locks revit

I’ve been noticing this bug where rhino.inside locks Revit: you can’t select anything or you can’t get out of editing processes (like floor boundary editing)
This has been provoked by various operations like: changing parameters or adding elements (normal use)
I have to restart rhino again to “solve it”.

Hi Johan, It sounds like there are two transactions going on or being attempted and Revit is losing context. Revit’s relational database can only handle one at a time. Sometimes a way to clear this up is to minimize grasshopper then re-initialize via the Grasshopper button on the RiR Ui Ribbon, or try clearing the Revit ongoing command.

You can tell when a bunch of the Architecture buttons are grayed out, this is recoverable, but not always. Essentially Revit has lost transactional context and needs to be shaken or restarted.

So you are in the middle of of a UI command (Edit floor boundary) and changing parameters via RiR when this happens? If it’s something we can repeat step by step I can create a bug report.

I can recall some cases:

1. You change parameters of x element in revit and you can select it, but the escape button just stop working.
  2. You just created x element (in my case a floor), then unpined and decided to change the boundary manually. Suddendly the menu is completely grey and you can’t escape. (i can’t recall if i was executing another gh process or clicking between the revit and the gh interface)
  3. You are not able to select any object.

Number 1 has happened to me several times.

Related:

1 Like

This solves the room selection question, but i keep having this strange bug. Like 5 times today.
I am changing room numbers parameters while revit was on workset view (the one with colors) and it was fun in the begining, but then suddenly i try to press esc to deselect some objects, but the action stops working. Then i go out of the workset view and i’m not able to select any object. Some other buttons on the menu are grey, others are clickable, but wont execute anything.

All the buttons on red mark work (?), but then i try to create a stair and revit gets locked on editing with everything grey, like this.

I know that when i’m not able to deselect something, rhino locked Revit.
:smiling_face_with_tear:

Hi Johan, What is Rhino doing at the moment? If you are sending changes to an active listening GH definition I can see how it would get confused. If you create a new Gh file and do your editing you shouldn’t have any issues. If i’m understanding this right.

At the moment, i’m just in gh conecting my rooms elements to the element parameter component. Everything normal, but once i try this a couple of times more, the blocking happens.

I’ve actually done this before, but since i begun using rhino.inside i’ve always been aware of this little issue: sometimes revit get stuck.

I’m reviving this topic because it keeps happening. This time i was just creating some ceilings through rhino.inside and after the second time i try it, the revit hangs up in the same way of this topic. Specifically, i was creating 70 ceilings surfaces but for some reason it keeps doing this, you´re not able to select any object. Fortunately, i’m able to sync my model before turn everything off.

Some other behaviour i’ve notice:

• when the bug happens, you’re not able to deselect objects (this is like level 1 of wrongness and begin to suspect something is going bad)
  • then, if you try to edit some object, you’re not able to escape the edit ui (I think i’ve manage to use the undo button in the up left corner to escape) (level 2)
  • level 3: you’re not able to select any object in the workspace, maybe some buttons in the ui, but if you get into this processes there’s no way out. (Usually, i end up saving my process and closing revit completely)

Soft crashes are the worst, no error report.

Can you put together an example and upload privately here…
https://www.rhino3d.com/upload

We’ll also need your about info & how your environment.

Thanks.

1 Like

Ok, I will do a test file and a video. For now, this is my information.
I think i have the last rhino.inside version and rhino 7

I just tried to translate this rhino file into revit and it happened again:

stair.3dm (1.8 MB)
stair.gh (9.6 KB)
bug stair.rvt (19.1 MB)

1. this is me translating this stair to revit. Nothing wrong.

2. This is my second try, but making another import. Unfortunately (?), nothing wrong.

3. This time i add a topography, nothing wrong for now.

4. Now, i try to unpin them from grasshopper and suddendly i can’t cancel my selection with esc key, but i can do it by clicking on blank space. If you see, i click on the architecture toolbar and there are a couple of commands the are grey out, which give the signal that something wrong is going on.

5. Finally, i try to undo and nothing is selectible, rhino keeps working normally, but revit hangs.

In conclusion, i think there is something going on with the unpin process which hangs revit completely, but i think i’ve seen this behaviour just adding objects.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

My initial couple run throughs of your process are coming out fine. Is this happening every time for you?

We should disable any superfluous Revit Addins for testing purposes.

https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-Disable-Add-Ins-for-Revit-Products.html#:~:text=Open%20the%20AddInManager.exe.,disable%20the%20selected%20add-ins.

1 Like

Yes, it is happening everytime. Not only under the pin component. i’ve had to restart revit 5 times today. It is weird.

Its losing context somehow, these tend to be fairly random and hard to reproduce consistently for the devs.

Do you think i should disable other plugins/addons? i just tried repair install but it didn’t work, the problem keeps happening randomly. For now, it’s impossible to use.

What we need here is better error reporting on these ‘soft’ crashes. We’ve talked extensively about this internally but i’ll open an official issue to move this forward.

1 Like

Thank you. I only have this option to transcribe my geometry to Revit. My speckle plugin has some weird behavior too. For now I’ll stick to rhino.inside and this bug.

I’m joining in on this same exact problem. It happens to me when I accidently delete, for example, a floor component in Grasshopper without releasing the floors first, I get stuck in Revit with the pinned floors connected to a non-existing component in grasshopper.

I figured something out -
I can select them and delete manually after the elements are “baked” to Revit if I release the “Select pinned elements” it is located in the bottom right of the Revit window.

1 Like

Hi @Or_Tsafir,

If you delete by accident a component in Grasshopper it should show you a warning message telling that the elements tracked by this component are no longer tracked.

If you click on cancel the Grashopper component will be back without losing tracking information of the elements.

If you clicked on OK you can still use UNDO first on Revit and then on Grasshopper and the elements will be tracked back by the component.
Same happens if you clicked on OK, UNDO in Revit will revert the delete of the elements and UNDO on Grasshopper will revert the component deletion, keeping tracking of the elements again.

1 Like