Boolean split with infinite plane option fails

Hello - I am not sure how much I want to guess at what you are asking/reporting/complaining about but a Boolean operation introduces trims and render meshes that were either not there or different, so it’s expected that the file size might go up.

-Pascal

It’s not about increasing the file size by doing the boolean split. At the initial stage of modelling, I was able to do the boolean split operation (with the infinite plane option) without any issue, but after adding more details or objects in the same file (obviously, the file size will increase) the said issue happens.
For the testing purpose, I can’t upload the original bigger sized file here, So if I give you a small separated portion from that same file, you cannot find any issue in this separated file regarding what I said here.
Anyway, I can go with cutting plane option and then I can do the boolean split, but it is a little time-consuming process.

Dunno, in a quick test here with around 2000 objects (extrusions), BooleanSplit with an infinite plane worked fine.

Hello - the IP on the first case - large scene - is much larger than the second, and I suspect you are running into tolerance problems with the domain of that large plane - just a guess. I’ll see what I can find out.
@sajid can you send us the file? (tech@mcneel.com) Please include a link to this thread in your
comments.

@sajid - the problem was that there were underlying surfaces on some of the objects that were hundreds of millions of units in extent - Here is a script that helps identify objects that are much smaller, visually, than the underlying surfaces.

ShrinkLargeFaces.py (2.9 KB)

To use the Python script use RunPythonScript, or a macro:

_-RunPythonScript "Full path to py file inside double-quotes"

-Pascal

1 Like

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-55039

-Pascal

1 Like