Boeing 314

A model I did for fun back in 2009, Vray render.
Oh yes, I am a flying boat “aficionado”.

Cheers
Joao

26 Likes

Outstanding model! Like many others, I too am a 314 fan.

Thanks, here is another scene obtained from the model

2 Likes

Very good

Beautiful! I’m actually reading the Ken Follet “Noche sobre las aguas”
And I was hoping to make this awesome airplane.
Are you using the correct airfoil for the main wing?
And what are you doing with this asset? I wish to convert it to a game object and include it into my Flight Soaring Simulator.

Thanks, among many, a great read on flying boats is this one (non-fiction)

The wing profile was just eyeballed from the 3 views. I can´t see how this plane would fit in a soaring simulator as it is not a gilder…

At the root is this one

and at the tip of the wings is this one

At the tip add 2° degrees of “twist”. In other words, rotate the NACA 0010 airfoil at the tip anticlockwise so that the leading edge is up. This prevent the Plane to stall at the tip and increase performance. Helps visual quality of the 3D build.

For the tail (horizontal and vertical airfoil) use only one NACA. Just scale the 0010 to make it thicker if needed.

I can´t see how this plane would fit in a soaring simulator as it is not a gilder…
Some pilots start soaring and later became commercial pilots. I will try to give them tasks as jobs (If I’m able to do so). Or there are some Peel Z-1 that need an environment where it makes sense making low pass (It can feet well). As you wish.

This description is flawed. The reference to “anticlockwise” is moot as it is image-orientation dependent. The reference to “leading edge up” is exactly the opposite of that which is desired to effect “prevent[ing] the Plane to stall at the tip.” And the use of washout has very little to do with airplane performance except to slightly diminish performance in the pursuit of safety at the stall.

The correct way to control stall behavior using wing twist is via “washout” which is defined as twisting the wing tip leading-edge down thereby reducing the angle of incidence at the tip with respect to the angle of incidence at the root. Twisting the wing tip leading-edge up is called wash-in and is generally detrimental to stall behavior.

(Other methods of stall control do exist, but are beyond the scope of this comment.)

1 Like

Yes, that’s true, sorry I was thinking in my wing sails when I wrote that.