Block editing takes forever when there are many blocks in the model

blocks

Does anyone have an idea why block editing takes a really Long time sometimes?
I assume it has something to do with the number of block instances and definitions you have in the model.

In my case (right now) I am working in a model with maybe 100 block definitions ans quite more instances.
I am trying to edit one of These blocks now and opening it took about 15 minutes which makes each editing really annyoing.

Is there any cure for that? Apart from using less blocks as this stuff is Input from other companies…

Yours

Dominik

(Pascal Golay) #2

Hi Dominik - 15 minutes seems excessive to say the least - are the blocks nested or especially complex?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

the blocks are nested but not really deep. Nor are they very complex. One example is attached.
Closing it takes another 15 minutes by the way.

When opening this example everything is very quick. But when opening this block in my original file it takes ages…

Yours

Dominikblock.3dm (269.7 KB)

(Pascal Golay) #4

Hi Dominik - are the blocks inserted as linked (i.e. BlockEdit opens them in a new instance of Rhino) or embedded, so BlockEdit just works directly in the current file?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

all of them are embedded.
I just looked up how many blocks there are in the document.
There are about 9000 definitions. I know thats a lot. But all this comes form external sources (Autocad). So there is no way for me to make that stuff less…

Yours

Dominik

I just wonder what happens internally in Rhino so editing a block takes so long

(Pascal Golay) #8

Hi Dominik - I’ve checked with the developer but unfortunately he’s out of the office for a few days…

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
no worries. This is not urgent at all. But that might be something to improve for the future.

Dominik

Ref: Block editing takes forever when there are many blocks in the model

(Pascal Golay) #12

Hi Dominik - can you possibly upload a model that is big enough to show the problem (SaveSmall, Zip) to www/rhino3d.com/Upload , to my (Pascal) attention?

thanks,

-Pascal