BlendSrf with radius

Hi All.

I’m curious if it’s possible to add ability to BlendSrf command to create round (radiused) connection between edges, not G1 or G2 or else.
It could be variable radius resulting surface in case of not constant distance between input edges.
Maybe it’s already possible with some other command?
I think it should be something like FilletSrf, but with variable radius. Rhino should decide the radius by itself. There wouldn’t be user input for radius.
Hope you’ll get my idea. )

Not sure what this means…
But threre is VariableFilletSrf if that helps.
-Pascal

Thanks for reply, Pascal.
Not exactly this command. It still needs fillet radius input.

Let’s say we have two surfaces with variable distance between two edges.
That (new?) command should create fillet (not blend) between these two surfaces based on those distances. So there will be no input for radius. Radius of fillet will be determined by distance between edges in every particular point. It’s mostly like BlendSrf does, but result should be not blending surface but fillet.

A constant radius fillet between non-coincident surface edges tangent to the surfaces is only possible with certain combinations of spacing between the edges and orientation of the surfaces at the edges, not in general. That is how geometry works.

Thanks for explanation, David.
But I’m not talking about constant radius. It will be variable radius.
But I wish it to be radius, not blend.

I believe all you know a common trick. When you have a complex surfaces connection just make a pipe on connection edge and trim surfaces by it. Then make BlendSrf. But this resulting surface is far from being a fillet, right?

I wish that radius be constant in cross-sections of this blend.

As I already understand, that’s impossible. That’s Ok.

My use of “constant” may have been confusing so I’ll try again.

A circular arc fillet between non-coincident surfaces edges with the fillet tangent to the surfaces is only possible with certain combinations of spacing between the edges and orientation of the surfaces at the edges, not in general, even if the radius of the fillet varies along the length of the fillet.

Yes, just tried to think wider. You’re right.
There could be surface combinations with my wish impossible to do.
So imperfect world. :sweat_smile: