Best render engine for rhino in 2022

Enscape is much faster since it’s not really a full render engine. A 4k product image per V-Ray could be done within a 1…3 min. But what good is Enscape’s super speed if the required effects and materials cannot be rendered and the customer is not satisfied? After some months of fighting with Enscape I decided me to stick one V-Ray and invest in hardware for speed - GPU rendering based 2x2080ti + 3090 and I’m glad about speed and result. During projects with Enscape, I was constantly afraid that my client would make a simple request that I couldn’t represent - like milky glass, for example.

1 Like

A few minutes is not so bad, actually…
For the pictures we do, Enscape delivers sufficient quality. For ‘high-end’ stuff (which we don’t do), I’d choose another engine.

You can do that in Enscape. It’s a checkbox in the Enscape material params, called ‘frosted glass’.Shows up when Transparency is set to 'Transmittance". Looks quite ok.
Something else:
What I’m investigating is re-using the Enscape gltf assets in another renderer. Looks like it’s not that simple… no wonder.

Check out BELLA. I’ve been playing with it and really enjoy it so far.

bellarender.com

4 Likes

+1 for Bella.

I do all my day to day in Rhino render (cycles) but I use Bella when I really want to drop a super realistic image. Plus @jdhill is a great guy and is super responsive to users.

5 Likes

Just to give an example: this is what I managed to do with Vray 5. Could you do better (in realism) with Bella, or Maxwell, for example? I’ve been using Vray for just under a year and I’m trying to learn. I would like to arrive at an even more extreme photorealism.

(only Vray, nothing Photoshop).

8 Likes

and If you want a native Grasshopper Support then it is big V-RAY

Juicy Juicy renders… if not the best work I’ve seen in the forum. :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s in the assets…!
No, really. The technical quality of the renderer is just one aspect - one that more and more becomes a ‘background’ issue. As it should. It was the opposite back in the days. So much wasted time with twiddling render settings… horrible. That’s why I enjoy Enscape - it has practically no more render settings, except a quality slider with 4 steps.
Motive, good modelling, composition, lighting, … that’s the interesting part.

1 Like

Great work Davide!
IMHO for you to reach a higher level of photorealism is now more about classic photography.
Try to replicate composition, lighting and depth focus on some photos you admire and see how they did it.

4 Likes

I don’t mean frosted glass. I mean milky glass like glass with translucent white paint on it, but better. A mix of diffuse, transparency and backside effect.

But also the Enscape frosted glass wasn’t stable to use. The frost effect was dependent from the scene depth, since internal a depth map calculated and used. So at some scenes the right frost effect wasn’t possible. I spend a lot of time for workaround to get the wanted effects. Tweaking quality parameters isn’t needed at V-Ray anymore, it creates a very high quality without visual errors based on one or two parameters. If you like you can work with only the noise threshold all days.

And are the limited reflections of mirrors of Enscape fixed? One of the big problems - your client ask for a big mirror at a scene and the result was unusable - effects and objects was missing at the mirror.

The advantage of Enscape is that the user can get great basic results in a short time, but he will quickly reach his limits and then can’t do anything - e.g. the mirror looks wrong. After a few days or weeks you can’t grow anymore, you can’t improve your results.
With V-Ray, it can take a little longer, but there is a lot of room to improve and learn things.

Sounds good!
So, ease of use: check (in VRay)

Speed: check
Enscape is faster, yes, but with a tradeoff in quality, and the bugs and workarounds easily eat up the advantage. E.g. scene syncing breaks all too easily, and you need to restart the renderer, which can take minutes in a bigger scene.

Assets: as I mentioned, they are very important, and this is were Enscape shines (they use Evermotion stuff, to my knowledge).
I will take a look at VRay’s, for sure (and a way to recycle the Enscape assets).

One other thing that is really uncool: VisualArq objects are rendered with wrong texture coords in Enscape. There’s a debate going on since 2,5 years in their forum, and it’s still unfixed. VRay does it right, btw.

Thanks Holo, you are very good at modeling instead.
I happen to read your posts every now and then…

Nice work Davide, yet you can make it even better IMO with Photoshop postprocessing.

Here’s your original rendering:

here’s after adding some levels, increasing saturation globally, but then bringing it down on the trees/leaves:

I hope that helps,

G

3 Likes

Render? Since when I do everything in Revit…

Boss: Advance quality required.
Me: Let somebody else to use whatever they want… I have no hand available…

Sì, vero, l’immagine è un poco slavata, sbiadita. Grazie.

Hello Scott,

It is from your perspective that I am considering what is the best render engine to use matched with the computer system that is needed. I render jewelry models, ideally both images and videos. I believe that just at baseline the rendering of precious metals and gems is quite challenging and even a “simple” design with these elements results in an intricate rendering circumstance.

Please take for example just a single Brilliant cut stone [Brilliant (diamond cut) - Wikipedia] [Diamond Design--A Study of the Reflection and Refraction of Light in a Diamond--by Marcel Tolkowsky. Edited and corrected by Jasper Paulsen.] developed by Marcel Tolkowsky [Marcel Tolkowsky - Wikipedia].
And if one were able to add in trying to render a cut like this: https://facetsoffire.com/

Personally, I would like to be able to do all of the work within Rhino using it’s Built in Render Engine.

Thank you,

Andy

Are you currently using Thea render’s network rendering? I’m wondering if they have improved it since version 2.2.

Really, Thea render now is released to 3.5 with more powerful options.

Enscape library assets are encripted. Textures of Enscape assets comming from twinmotion are further encripted. So you can’t really reuse their stock assets outside Enscape. Custom/User assets do not have these limitations.

V-Ray is able to handle 3rd part assets like RPC for ages and Enscape assets (stock and custom) support will be available real soon. Also the Cosmos asset (and material) library is growing by the day. Importing assets made in Max/Maya will also get a major facelift soon

5 Likes

I had a look into the cosmos assets, and there are many that are exactly the same as Enscape’s (people from humanalloy e.g.).
I assume they will be enrypted, too?